Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: test rides for potential boat buyers

whiteworks
    I would like some opinions about dealing with this situation. I keep my boat at the river and live in socal it is currently for sale. I have had some people call that want to check it out and go on test rides. I will continue to keep the boat at the river so it is standard operating procedure when I want to go out and use it. in my mind if a potential buyer wants to go for a ride on a weekend that I dont plan on going out I would like to ask for a $250. non refundable deposit that would be credited to the sale price if they purchase. is this cool or am I out of line. also should i use some sort of escrow? company any opinions would be appreciated.

h2oski2fast
    I guess you don't want to sell it that bad. If I was a buyer, I'd move on as your's is not the only boat on the market.

BoaterX
    I would limit your test drives to serious buyers only. Bad thing is, sometimes it's hard to tell. IMO...you are trying to charge your potential buyers for the fact that YOU keep YOUR boat at the river and need to go get it for the test drive.
    My boat is for sale too and I keep it close to me in case a buyer wants to see it. I can even start it up for a buyer to hear it, but unless you got cash in hand and are looking like you're gonna take it today, I would't go out on a test drive. Some people go out to scope out what he can get for his money and is not necessarily looking to buy your boat, so you gotta weedem out.

ChumpChange
    am I out of line.
    Yes.
    If you want to sell the boat, you do what it takes to sell it. I'm in sales... I don't charge a potential buyer a gas surcharge for me to come out and look at their business.

vmjtc3
    I can see where you are comming from. But I think I would be a little put off if I had to pay $250 for a test drive. I think it might be worth it in your case to have a broker where you keep your boat sell it for you. Then you can take it out when you want and leave it for him to sell when you are gone. Just my .02

whiteworks
    let me clarify what i consider a test ride it would take place at the river and and last all day and when they got on board the ice chest would be full. make a run from havi to speed ally then the sand bar then to moabi. and haul ass back at the end of the day.

phebus
    let me clarify what i consider a test ride it would take place at the river and and last all day and when they got on board the ice chest would be full. make a run from havi to speed ally then the sand bar then to moabi. and haul ass back at the end of the day.
    That seems a little much, who to say the potential buyer wants to spend the whole day on your boat with you? It's a test drive, not an audition
    Let them give the boat a little shakedown, and look it over. It's a pain in the ass with all the tire kickers, but it's a game you have to play if you want to sell it. One reason I got a goood deal when we bought our boat, was because the guy just didn't want to deal with traveling back and forth, and come up empty.

Kilrtoy
    . in my mind if a potential buyer wants to go for a ride on a weekend that I dont plan on going out I would like to ask for a $250. non refundable deposit that would be credited to the sale price if they purchase. .
    and your next words to me would be,
    "HELLO! HELLO! ARE YOU STILL THERE? along with the dial tone......

2Driver
    Once you know it's the boat you want and we settle on price the very last thing on the way to the bank is to take a test drive. In other words I don't want to take people out to see if they like the boat, I only take people out so they are comforatble that it is mechanically sound (which you can also do at servce dealer in a "pre-buy" inspection. I have sold 11 boats over 20 years and only took 2 out for test runs for the buyers.
    It's a reasonabe request, but one used for mechanical check not for boat shoppping. IMO

whiteworks
    well the concensus wins. I guess it was wishful thinking on my part. so what are some good ways to weed them out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast