Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No spark

BK
    Ok so im trying to fire the motor and dont seem to have any spark, I held the coil wire to the block while a friend turned the motor over and saw no spark. Im pretty sure I have it wired correctly, I have 9.8 volts to the - and + side of the coil, is that right? Its a used msd blaster coil and at this point im thinkin thats my problem? Any input is helpful, thanks

Kindsvater Flat
    I don't know what kind of ignition you have other than the coil. Take a test light and put it on the negative side of the coil. It should flash as the motor is cranking. Its very noticable if you have points.

BK
    Sorry, its an msd pro billet ready to run (no box). I dont have a light but know someone who does, i'll have to barrow it from them on monday. I talked to someone at the local parts stor and they say it sounds like the module? Thanks

Infomaniac
    Why no box?

BK
    Didnt want to run a box and didnt want to run a Mallory so I went with this.
    Pro-Billet Ready-To-Run,
    PN 8360
    The Pro-Billet Ready-to-Run Distributor is exactly what it sounds like. Install it, connect three wires and you're ready to roll. This distributor is much like the HEI, except it does not have an internal coil. If the bulk of an HEI won't fit in your engine and you want a simple and clean ignition system, this is the distributor for you.
    Built down inside the billet aluminum housing there is a powerful inductive ignition module. This module is responsible for sending plenty of spark energy to the coil no matter what rpm you're at. The distributor relies on MSD's race proven magnetic pickup for accurate trigger signals.
    Just above the pickup there is an easy-to-adjust mechanical advance. MSD supplies different advance springs and stop bushings so you can custom tailor an advance curve to match your application. Also, a vacuum advance canister supplies great cruising economy!

BK
    I just checked the voltage where the distributor hooks to 12v and theres just over 11v at the ignition wire, is this a problem?

Robbie Racer
    Byron, I think 11 volts is okay. The normal spec that I have seen for most MSD ignitions is 10 volts minimum. It could be a faulty transducer on the crank trigger pick up. We had that problem with a brand new one when we first fired the new motor on the dyno last week. It would provide no spark and we replaced it and bingo, the replacement pick up worked just fine. They may have a certain lot number that are faulty. Good luck, R/R

Sleek-Jet
    Have you checked the resistance through the primary windings (the part that hooks to the 12 volts) of the coil? It should be very little.
    I don't know if you can check an MSD coil that way or not.
    [ April 13, 2003, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Sleek-Jet ]

Sleek-Jet
    shit, double post.
    [ April 13, 2003, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Sleek-Jet ]

Dyce51
    9.8 volts on a 12 volt system....hhmmm I think that maybe the problem
    [ April 13, 2003, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Dyce51 ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast