Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: You ever cook a steak...

al cole'holic
    ...that has turned a little brown? It don't smell at all but just ain't red like it was on Tuesday when I bought it...I'm a few deep and got the munchies but a little hesitant

wsuwrhr
    When in doubt, throw it out. Steak is cheaper than a stomach ache.
    Brian

al cole'holic
    Brian

Jbb
    ...that has turned a little brown? It don't smell at all but just ain't red like it was on Tuesday when I bought it...I'm a few deep and got the munchies but a little hesitant
    Yep ....cook it.....it will be fine...

blown428fe
    Ive seen them in the store with a little brown on them, turns me right off. Id fling it.

Kachina26
    Brian
    I adopted that policy many years ago after 2 days of yaking from a suspect pudding cup
    :yuk:
    The steak is just aged though

wsuwrhr
    I adopted that policy many years ago after 2 days of yaking from a suspect pudding cup
    :yuk:
    The steak is just aged though
    The hardest lessions I've ever learned have served me the best.
    Brian
    Pudding cups live forever don't they?

Jbb
    I had a friend years ago who was a butcher...They used to use a product called dynomite
    [that is now outlawed]
    ...for obvious reasons....they would sprinkle it on steaks turning brown....and in a minute ..they looked like they were just sliced from a side of beef....
    When freshly slaughtered meat is cut into steaks, the muscle tissue comes into contact with oxygen in the air. The myoglobin in the meat binds this oxygen, forming oxymyoglobin and giving the meat a red color. However, if fresh meat sits for a period of time, generally over the course of several days, the structure of the myoglobin changes. The iron molecule in the middle is oxidized from its ferrous to ferric form and a different complex is formed called metmyoglobin. This compound turns the raw meat a brown color. The meat is usually still safe to eat when cooked, but the brown, unappealing color turns off most consumers. To avoid having your fresh meat turn brown, use it as soon as possible after purchasing it.

superdave013
    I did just that the other day. my wife would have freaked if she saw it before I cooked it. needless to say she liked her dinner!
    Oh, and I seemed to have lived too.

NorCal Gameshow
    just call it aged beef and grill it up ....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast