Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UPS is my friend!

DogHouse
    The great brown truck dropped 8 of these off a couple days ago... Now they're down at Larry's getting fitted to a shiny new Dart tall deck. Wooohooo!
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/313piston.JPG[/img]

are threre any advantages to running a tall deck versus a standard deck? if you dont mind how much is a new dart tall deck i think im in the market. thanks

DogHouse
    Kinda depends on what size motor you're building. If you're running a 4" crank, then there's really no need for a tall deck. Biggest crank you can squeeze into a standard deck and retain a reasonable rod ratio and compression height is 4.25". Some folks won't even go that far. If you want to go bigger then you need the tall deck. Once you go to the aftermarket block, the price is the same regardless of deck height. A good price on the Dart block with iron caps is 1800-1900. Steel caps are a couple hundred more.

Tinkerer
    Those pistons look like they are coated are they???

DogHouse
    Yes they are coated. I went through PolyDyn out in Tx. They will buy from JE or Wiseco, coat the tops and skirts, and sell them at jobber pricing. It's a bit of a savings compared to purchasing retail and then paying for the coatings.

Tinkerer
    Can you post a link or some info???
    What was the cost.
    What engine are they for.CI???
    [ March 15, 2003, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Tinkerboater ]

DogHouse
    Polymer Dynamics
    These are 4.6 x 1.145 JE for BBC, 5cc solid dome, with pins, double spiro locks, and oil rail supports, about 850 plus shipping. Flat tops and/or Wisecos are slightly less. These will make a 598 with a 4.5 crank and 6.8 rods.

Sleek-Jet
    How difficult is it to put a 4.25 crank in a standard block. Looking at doing it in my truck, any experience?

DogHouse
    Not sure how much (if any) clearancing is required on a standard block. Assuming you're using steel rods, I'd guess that it would be minimal. I'm sure someone around here has done it so hopefully they'll speak up!

blown23vee
    What the heck?? Aren't you tired of yanking that
    damn motor in & out yet? Oh, and they're "down
    at Larry's?" Perhaps we should be carpooling...
    Rick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast