Thread: Thru-Hull Exhuast mufflers...Flowmaster??

CheckmateFever
    Ok on another site there's a boat identical to mine, a 21' Checkmate Enchanter with 350 Merc/Alpha 1 drive, that has a thru-hull exhuast system in which they've used automotive Flowmaster mufflers to quiet the boat down to a leagal Db level. I want to put thru-hull exhuast on mine and i'm extremely interented in this set-up but i wanted to get a few more opinions on the matter first. I've talk to the owner about the Flowmasters and he said the've been on there for about 5 years now with out any problems, water runs right through and drians out the tips like normal and they haven't rusted or coroded yet. Does this sound like a good set-up?? The owner also posted a video of his boat idling at the dock and man does it sound good. I think it's an interesting idea, i mean Flowmaster mufflers cost ALOT less than most marine silencers, i was told i'd probably have to spend $700 for marine mufflers to make my boat leagal, i can get a set of Flowmasters for about $120 bucks!! Anybody have a take on this?? Thanks

Waldo
    I have a 350 Mag w/through hull exhaust, no muffs. I have never had any issues with noise laws (knock on wood). It isn't that loud to be honest. I primarily boat in Parker but have launched at Havi marina with no probs. Why spend any $$$ on muffs at all?

CheckmateFever
    I hear ya man, believe me i would love to go straight thru-hull with mine, but up here in upstate New York (Finger Lakes) there starting to really crack down on the noise (most rediculous law i've ever heard of IMHO) and my tips would be above the water line, i know people who have been ticketed for loud exhuast up here, so rather that get hasseled every time i hit the lake i figured i'd just take care of it now. However... Does anybody know the Db level @ idle of a STOCK 350 small block straight out the back above the water line?? Up here the law is 90 Db @ idle, they will allow you 3 Db over that tho so basically 93 Db. Thanks for any info!

Carbon Dave
    I have thought of this also. Mine exhaust does not have water running through it until the tips. I wish Flowmaster made something in stainless.

full throttle
    Borla makes what your looking for.

Oar-Gas-Um
    Check out GGB's

Big Kahunaa
    I have thought of this also. Mine exhaust does not have water running through it until the tips. I wish Flowmaster made something in stainless.
    Flowmaster does make a stainless muf it is called a hushpower and they are smaller than there regular mufs