Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New IMCO Drive

dirty old man
    That new #1000 IMCO drive shown in the Nov/Dec Hot boat looks like the answer, has anyone gotten a quote yet. It would save a ton of weight and cost to not have to go to SSM #6's. My cig is ready for new drives and I don't want to cut the transom

phebus
    Fuuny, I was going to ask if anyone was building a boat with the new drive in mind. Whatever the cost is, it might be the only viable alternative out there for those with high horsepower and torque that can't keep a Bravo together.
    Both the ***boat write up, and the F&PB article make it look very impressive.

Havasu47
    It is only sold as a "complete" kit. Drive, gimbal, stand off box, full hyd steering, helm, tranny, coupler, bellhousing, flywheel, etc., even all the hardware you'll need.
    Retail is $35,586.51 - single $69,764.85 - twin

dirty old man
    Like I said, lighter and cheaper. Probably more steamlined too

Boatlesss
    Cheaper than what?
    For that amount of $$ I can buy new SSM#6's or Arnesons for less.
    Not a deal at all.

dirty old man
    You mean gimbals, drives, transmissions, stand off boxes and steering?

Boatlesss
    A complete Mercury SSM#6 Dry Sump Drive unit. Might I remind you that a complete drive unit is not just a leg or just a transom assembly like everyone keeps referring to with a Bravo, rather a drive unit is everything that is the drive. Transom Assembly which has the steering in it, and the leg with a spacer only cost $33K ea..
    There is no way in Hell that this little IMCO can compare to a SSM#6.
    An Arneson ASD8 cost $28K complete with steering and such.
    So IMCO or the rest? The choice is pretty obvious especially when you look at the sky high price of a Bravo copy.

ECeptor
    I can't believe designing a 1000hp, 1000ft-lbs capable outdrive for a reasonable price would be that difficult. Now, where did I put my AGMA reference books.....

Havasu47
    A complete Mercury SSM#6 Dry Sump Drive unit. Might I remind you that a complete drive unit is not just a leg or just a transom assembly like everyone keeps referring to with a Bravo, rather a drive unit is everything that is the drive. Transom Assembly which has the steering in it, and the leg with a spacer only cost $33K ea..
    There is no way in Hell that this little IMCO can compare to a SSM#6.
    An Arneson ASD8 cost $28K complete with steering and such.
    So IMCO or the rest? The choice is pretty obvious especially when you look at the sky high price of a Bravo copy.
    First of all Imco never claimed it was a #6 replacement. They claim it to be between the Bravo style and the #6.
    $33,000.00 does not buy every thing you need for a #6 install. $33,000.00 is basically dealer cost for the drive and transom assy. No, they dont' come as a unit. The drive is bought seperately from the transom assy. The transom assy does not come with the steering in it. Only the steering cylinders. You still need the helm, wheel, hoses, and fittings. It also does not come with the transmission, drive plate, bellhousing, etc. When you compare EVERYTHING needed to complete the install, the #6 is a fair amount more.
    The Imco 1000 is an alternative when you dont have the HP that demands a #6, but will kill a Bravo style.
    I am not pushing one over the other, only trying to give a little insight.
    The #6 is the king (actually the #7 now). The 1000 is just a good alternative for an engine like a very large CI normally aspirated engine that would kill a Bravo and the #6 would be heavy and absorb more HP.

HP350SC
    Hopefully the new drive will be better than the 4X4. :notam:
    If I was looking to build a tough drive (short of a #6), I would go with a B-max with Max machine worx shafts. That would combine the bigger gears, and the torsional "give" of the MMW shafts.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast