Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much $$$ to flow test heads??

kevnmcd
    I keep reading that in order to spec a cam the heads should be flow tested to get the right cam. How much does this cost and who does it? I will be needing to do this shortly, I guess.

YeLLowBoaT
    I was told $40 for 1 intake and 1 exhaust on 1 head. Flow test are one of those things that it did this on this bench at this time. Then again I have not called around.

Squirtin Thunder
    I was told $40 for 1 intake and 1 exhaust on 1 head. Flow test are one of those things that it did this on this bench at this time. Then again I have not called around.
    It is more like $95, Plus set up costs !!!

I dunno where you guys are going, but I get it done for cheaper ... not per valve. Usually $50 or $70. They will usually check 4 (2 exhaust, 2 intake) per head unless you ask for them all ... at least this has been my experience with untouched heads.
    If you have any type of port work done ... you should have them all flowed.
    I would stick with one head shop, and start a relationship with them ... only coming around every now & then will never get you "that extra mile" if you know what I mean.
    Brian

kevnmcd
    Brian,
    Since you live in my area, where do you go?

Bob McKray w/ McKray Performance... he's in Mission Viejo ... (949) 458-7087. He does a lot of A-Fuel heads as well as regular stuff ... I was referred to him by Ralph & Spike Gorr (Gorr Fuel Systems) ...
    You can do some research on him via google or yahoo ... does awesome work.

kevnmcd
    Bob McKray w/ McKray Performance... he's in Mission Viejo ... (949) 458-7087. He does a lot of A-Fuel heads as well as regular stuff ... I was referred to him by Ralph & Spike Gorr (Gorr Fuel Systems) ...
    You can do some research on him via google or yahoo ... does awesome work.
    That is right by my house! :rollside: Thanks!

no prob man ... good luck ...

steelcomp
    Alan Johnson charged me $75 for a left and right int. port, and one ex. If you have the $$ to have all the ports flowed, that's cool info to have, but unless you intend on having a cam ground with a different lobe for each cyl., it's pretty much trivia. A custom cam grind will cover the small percentage difference between ports. The better the aftermarket head, the less difference there's going to be between left and right ports on a BB Chev. For GM heads, there's going to be more of a difference. The cam's going to be for an average between the two, when it's done. The difference between similar ports won't be any where near the difference between left and right, so the cam's got that covered.
    Hope that made sense. On heads with symetrical ports, like BB Ford, you don't have that problem, and having the numbers for one intake and one exhaust will do. Just be sure that you're flowing the finished product, and don't make any changes afterwards. Also be sure to flow the heads on a fixture with the same bore as your motor, and using either your valves, or the exact same as you're going to use, including face width, back cut, etc. Remember, you're not looking for big flow numbers, you're looking for YOUR flow numbers. A bigger bore will typically give better flow numbers, and head manufacturers usually show advertised flow numbers that were flower on a min. 4.500 bore for a BB Chev. If you use those numbers to have your cam designed, and are only running 4.250 or 4.31, you'll have the wrong cam. It can make a big diference. I'm happy to help anyone with questions.
    I edited this to read a little more clearly.

Squirtin Thunder
    Good points Scott !!1 :rollside:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast