Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 460 ford bad news bearings

Fiat48
    8 hard seasons. Could have been put together dirty. You may be right that the clearances were tight in the first place. But the bearings didn't spin. Lotta wear there. Is there any chance you ran low on oil..or perhaps dropped oil pressure (pan baffling, etc)?
    Guess I would do this:
    Torque the caps and measure the main bore sizes. Machine shop can do that for you.
    I think I see some heat checks in the crank...so I would have it magged. Then if it passes mag..have it turned. Or get an exchange crank.
    Then I would check the crank for straightness. That can be done on a set of V blocks or done in the block.
    Then I would check the clearances with the new main bearings.
    Might not hurt to have those rod end sizes checked also.

GofastRacer
    8 hard seasons. Could have been put together dirty. You may be right that the clearances were tight in the first place. But the bearings didn't spin. Lotta wear there. Is there any chance you ran low on oil..or perhaps dropped oil pressure (pan baffling, etc)?
    Guess I would do this:
    Torque the caps and measure the main bore sizes. Machine shop can do that for you.
    I think I see some heat checks in the crank...so I would have it magged. Then if it passes mag..have it turned. Or get an exchange crank.
    Then I would check the crank for straightness. That can be done on a set of V blocks or done in the block.
    Then I would check the clearances with the new main bearings.
    Might not hurt to have those rod end sizes checked also.
    I figured you would come in and save me all that typing!.... Happy New Year!...

Fiat48
    LOL. All them pictures I had just had to type something! Bored to death here in the flooded town of Reno. Happy New year to you too.
    Tough when you see one like this to tell what went on. But a lot can happen in 8 seasons.

LOL. All them pictures I had just had to type something! Bored to death here in the flooded town of Reno. Happy New year to you too.
    Tough when you see one like this to tell what went on. But a lot can happen in 8 seasons.
    Reno is pretty quiet tonight.
    Bob,
    What do you make of the uneaven damage on the bottom bearing??

Fiat48
    Could be line hone...could be crank not straight...could be clearances. Tough call.

obnoxious001
    Is that a milkshake on the timing chain, or oil with water mixed in it? Inquiring minds want to know.

Fiat48
    Yep..good eye. I see rust too. That's a player for sure.

dmontzsta
    Just like that huh!..
    Yeah, should be able to knock it out in an hour.

bradbigsley
    Is that a milkshake on the timing chain, or oil with water mixed in it? Inquiring minds want to know.
    no. never had water in oil promblems... as far as not enough oil.. 10 quart dooley pan changed every season with 9 + 1...

obnoxious001
    The photo makes it look like there is something coating the timing chain. There is a spot or two of rust,, and the oil passage in the crank appears to have rust in it,, which would certainly wipe the bearings, rust makes a great abrasive.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast