Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 460 ford bad news bearings

GofastRacer
    Whatever that coating is(looks like gray paint)on the chain is coming off and that could be a factor too, definitely had garbage go thru it. The rust could be from condensation, or water got in thru the breathers???...

HOSS
    Gotta last one summer? Yank the crank, have it turned, new nearings,,,thats a wrap. Spend the money and re-ring.

Norseman
    Really, just like that huh Better re read his post and look at the pics, wouldn't you want to know the reason for the wipe out so it don't happen again after you cut it and slap it together and run it???..
    Art;
    I think he said he ran it hard for 8 seasons. Looking at the bearings they look worn.
    And you ALWAYS check everything when you put a motor back together, or at least I do!! Including checking the oil pump, oil pick, crank for straightness ect.
    If the rods show the same type of wear, better check the cam bearings, my guess is they will look like the mains......
    It has to come apart to have the crank cut, so when it's apart you look everything over good. But freshing it up is a lot less expensive than buying or building a new high HP motor.
    Bob

DansBlown73Nordic
    BUY A CHEVY!!!

GofastRacer
    Art;
    I think he said he ran it hard for 8 seasons. Looking at the bearings they look worn.
    And you ALWAYS check everything when you put a motor back together, or at least I do!! Including checking the oil pump, oil pick, crank for straightness ect.
    If the rods show the same type of wear, better check the cam bearings, my guess is they will look like the mains......
    It has to come apart to have the crank cut, so when it's apart you look everything over good. But freshing it up is a lot less expensive than buying or building a new high HP motor.
    Bob
    This last year I tore mine down after 5 "HARD" seasons and after checking everything it all went back together with the same parts, it all looked like new!..

bradbigsley
    thanks for the replies. i guess the next question is does anybody know of a good machine shop in orange county..

wsuwrhr
    Have the crank magged and polished, put a new set of bearings in and run it another year.
    It has made it 8 years the way it is.
    Brian

Squirtin Thunder
    BUY A CHEVY!!!
    If you only knew how bad that advise is.

bradbigsley
    If you only knew how bad that advise is.
    believe me ST i know. heck if it was a chevy it woulda blown years ago.

LakesOnly
    BUY A CHEVY!!! What, one of those iron V8 motors that was engineered in the 1950's? The ones with the spur gear oil pumps and no dedicated lifter valley oil drainbacks? The poor guy already has experienced oiling problems, sheez, why don't you just suggest he buy an Olds while you're at it?
    Bigsley, by "3/4-round groove" bearings, ST doesn't mean the groove is round, he actually means 3/4 around...as in 270 degress of groove in the bearing shells and not just one-half of the bearing being grooved (the half that goes into the main saddle). Although I don't think the bearings themselves have anything to do with your oiling problems, I agree with him in the choice of bearing type...try the Federal Mogul 3/4-groove bearing for the 460 mains...I think the part numbers is Federal Mogul # 134M.
    LO

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast