Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 460 ford bad news bearings

blowngas
    was it just the FE blocks that used all different sized main bearings from the factory or is the 460 blocks that way too----I've heard that a person should align hone or bore the blocks on the first rebuild in order to use bearings that are machined to the same ID/OD-----since only Ford has the over and undersized bearings used in original assembly-----and can not be purchased thru parts-------did I hear "Fords better idea"!!!-----the bearings in my old 390 FE looked like that after 40k miles----I keep it around just in case I ever get the urge to get another!!!

Actually, your bearings don't look bad for the use they and the engine have been put thru for 8 years(?). Shows the value of a marine Pan & P/U on a marine engine. Just have everything checked, reground and/or resized with new bearings and you'll get another year easy. By the way, PLEASE do something with the knife edge oil holes in the Crank and have them chamfered when the Crank is turned. I can give you one suggestion for engine machining for OC(I grew up there and moved away in 89') and one in Whittier. Taylor Engine in Whittier(ask for Jay) or Contemporary Auto Machine in HB(ask for Yo). They both do very good work, and have done work for me in the past. You can also make the short drive to glorious, downtown Murrieta if you want to use DSC. Any of the 3 are good. Good luck, RR
    I'm just a pawn in the game of life...........

Moneypitt
    Do all of the above AND re balance it..........MP

bradbigsley
    Actually, your bearings don't look bad for the use they and the engine have been put thru for 8 years(?). Shows the value of a marine Pan & P/U on a marine engine. Just have everything checked, reground and/or resized with new bearings and you'll get another year easy. By the way, PLEASE do something with the knife edge oil holes in the Crank and have them chamfered when the Crank is turned. I can give you one suggestion for engine machining for OC(I grew up there and moved away in 89') and one in Whittier. Taylor Engine in Whittier(ask for Jay) or Contemporary Auto Machine in HB(ask for Yo). They both do very good work, and have done work for me in the past. You can also make the short drive to glorious, downtown Murrieta if you want to use DSC. Any of the 3 are good. Good luck, RR
    hey RR it just so happens that im working on the corner of kalmia and washington which is about a mile from your place.. i plan on stopping by and talking to you.. thanks :rollside:

Cool. I'll be there all this week till at least 4. Thursday probably later. See you over there. RR
    I'm just a pawn in the game of life...........

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234