Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Idaho Waterways

insanity
    We're looking at moving from No Cal to Idaho north of Boise. I was wondering what waterways are flat and runnerbottom friendly, conditions and rules. We have a Sanger straight flat we use for skiing and a blown alcohol Cole TR2, once it gets back together. I know there must be some other V Drivers up there. What are the hot spots and places to stay away from? What are the boating laws like? I appreciate any input.
    Thanks
    Greg

vdriver4ever
    Hi Greg,
    There is a noise law in Idaho. It really sucks because it was more designed to keep the jet boats out of Hells Canyon. The rafters got upset with them. But the law is for all waterways.
    My two brothers and I have v-drives. We run our boats on Lucky Peak just east of Boise by about ten miles. When you say north of Boise does that mean Cascade or McCAll? There is two lakes on those towns. One is deep and built up like Tahoe years ago. The other is shallow and big. Both are pretty good lakes until the wind comes up. Let me know where your moving to and I can help more.
    Pat Minegar

insanity
    Pat,
    Thanks for your input. We have some friends that are in Meridian, they have a tournament boat, he likes Lucky Peak also. We spent some time up there this summer, Boise to Bonners Ferry. Really liked the area north of Boise up to New Meadows. We are going back up Thanksgiving week to look around some more. The Sanger has thru-hull exhaust so it's pretty quiet but not sure how much zoomies are acceptable on the TR2.
    Greg

vdriver4ever
    Greg, I live in Meridian myself. I have OT exhaust but not zoomies. As long as you meet the reqiured noise levels it doesn't matter what you have. I can tell you that McCall and Cascade is being invaded with out of state money and those that tend to not like the noise. I don't think your going to get away with straight zoomies anywhere in Idaho. I wish we could.
    So are you thinking more north then like Eagle area?

insanity
    Pat,
    When we were up in McCall this summer I could see that. We currently live in a rural area east of Sacramento on acreage. There are too many people moving in this area trying to make it like the San Francisco bay area. We are looking for 20 plus acres probably at least north of Eagle maybe as far north as New Meadows. Thanksgiving week I want to narrow that down farther. Since I also have an Altered / Funny Car, would like to stay reasonably close (within 1 1/2 hours) to Firebird Raceway.
    Greg

vdriver4ever
    Greg, I thought I had too many toys but you win! I know the New Family well at Firebird. I run a Late Model race car so more into the roundy round deal.
    I know of 30 acres just off highway accross the street from Firebird. It is back a few hundred yards I think? I am not sure if its even for sale but I would bet it would be. Not that there isn't lots of available land between Boise and New Meadows..
    Pat

Sherpa
    I got a lake for ya..............
    it's a bit west for you, going into southern oregon, and go to lake Owyhee.
    it's pretty desolate, and not very busy at all.......... we're talking on a
    weekend in mid summer, there might* be 2 other boats there...................
    --Sherpa
    hope my freinds from Adrian don't mind the noise.....

vdriver4ever
    I love Lake Owyhee too. Does Oregon have a noise limit? The only problem with that lake is getting beat with my v-drive by a damn bass boat... he he.
    Lake Owyhee is huge and mostly used for fishing. Another one of those lakes that you need to find shore once the wind starts.

doesitfloat?
    Greg,
    My brother told me about this thread. I moved to Meridian a year ago (originally from the Bay Area) and also have 3 lots in McCall (nothing close to 20 acres, though.).
    Anyway, I am a former v-driver who has gone the way of the nerd boat for family reasons. I just told my brother that Four Winns is to Idaho as Eliminator is to California! I only saw one v-drive all last year! Maybe it was you, Pat?!
    Good luck on your move. I am a custom home builder so if you need any advice or recomendations, don't hesitate to pm me. There are some great chunks of land available in the Lake Cascade area. My dad owns a nice 6 acre lot that he's going to develop soon.
    I think that while McCall is beautiful, it is too small (the lake) and has a "private" sail boat kind of feel to it. I much prefer Cascade as it is bigger with more open space on the shores.
    If you need a realtor for the McCall area, I highly recommend Robert Lyons at Remax 208 866-3557. Another good agent is Denise DeCoster at Clarke Realty. She does McCall and also Cascade/Donelly.
    New Meadows is nice...I just finished a small house overlooking Whitney Ranch valley in New Meadows. If you keep traveling west past the town, there are some nice, large lot developments opening up. 5-20 acres.
    Good luck. You're moving to a great place...I wish I moved here 10 years ago!
    Mike

vdriver4ever
    Mike,
    I didn't have my v-drive on the water last year. I did have my four winns though... I too am from the bay area but it was 1974. I am almost a local now!
    My Nordskog is being restored right now by Dave Sammons in San Diego. I am really jacked about it. We did the leak down on my motor last night and just getting it ready to send down to Dave.
    I own A-1 Heating in Boise and McCall locations so if you ever need some heating work done down here or up there let me know... It's pretty crazy up north isn't it?
    Pat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast