Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: jet pump intake removal

Does Any one know how or what is the best way to remove the pump mount/intake ,that is mounted to the bottom of the hull.
    My bilge seems to have a gellcoated insert that i need to remove to replace the shorty stringers.I removed the bolts that sandwich the top and bottom pieces together,but it wo'nt bubge or seperate.should I even remove this part at all. http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...ti_jet_022.jpg

Does Any one know how or what is the best way to remove the pump mount/intake ,that is mounted to the bottom of the hull.
    My bilge seems to have a gellcoated insert that i need to remove to replace the shorty stringers.I removed the bolts that sandwich the top and bottom pieces together,but it wo'nt bubge or seperate.should I even remove this part at all. http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...ti_jet_022.jpg
    from the pic u show...i personally dont think u need to remove the pump mount/intake & why do u want to re-place the short stringers?...i see nothing wrong with them...the only damage i see is the rear of the transom!...looks like some fiberglass work will fix that
    fastrat

That part doesnt just unbolt, its glued into the boat with epoxy and the screws you mentioned. Its a big job to R & R the intake because they just dont fall out and you need to re-install it correctly .. If you still want to pull it we can give you a few pointers.

The stringers are deffinatley gone.You can't see them due to the glass overlaping them on the inside of the pan,but just on the other side of that the wood is exposed,and is soft and rotted.
    I am going to have to replace the stringers as well as the transome,but if You all dont think I need to or shouldn't remove the intake/mount I would rather not.
    It has short stingers in the engine bay and small light weight stringers the rest of the way through the boat,under the floor,with some styrofoam blocks and wood frame pieces.I was thinking of running the fullsize stringers from transome to bow,if it would'nt add too much weight.

Dont pull the intake adapter unless you absolutly have to or if it leaks water.
    Good luck on the stringer replacement.

steelcomp
    I'm with Chris. Work around it. Are you sure this boat is worth the work you're undertaking?? It sounds like you're opening a big can o worms. I often wonder why, with all the inexpensive jets available, some choose to put the $$ and time into certain projects. Not to say yours isn't worth it...no way to tell from pics, but just something to consider. Good luck.

Red Horse
    Might want to look for another project that needs less "major" work. I think it will save you lots of frustration and maybe get you on the water about 2 years sooner

tahitijet
    When i started my project it was much further gone then the pictuers you posted.. I replaced my short stringers with full lenght and replaced the transom. I left my intake in when i did this but pulled it later in the build to correct the bottom and set back the pump.
    Really i didn't think the job was that involved. It didn't take all that much time in relation to the whole project and only cost a few hundred dollars.

tahitian dragon
    intake can be tricky. hot boat has a article in the march 04 issue page 120 check it out!!!!!!!!!!! if u do pull the intake get the intake machined 4 a shoe &ride plate!!!!!!!!!!! check 6 ft (at least) forward from the tramson ,see if it is straight!!!!!!!!!! hooks &rockers kill a boat performance.blue print the hull if need,it will be worth it. Icut my intake out from the bottom and the top with a muffler cut off wheel through the epoxy only then with a little effort wa la out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tahitian dragon
    what yr and style is your tahiti???????????? mine is a 73 19 ft cl side winder,s are splashs of them. let me NO????????????later

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast