Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Break in period ? How many hrs?

FIREMAN
    Does anyone have any info on how long the break in period is for a new 496 Mag Ho?

Jungle Boy
    FIREMAN:
    Does anyone have any info on how long the break in period is for a new 496 Mag Ho? If the oil is hot, it's broke in!!
    The engines that we run are ran for 15 minutes on the dyno and oil is dumped, filter is checked and then it's time to make some pulls. We run natural oil for 6 hrs (+ -) and then synthetic after that. Break them in like you are going to run them. Now a day engine have bearings and rings that don't need alot of babying. SO, let er rip man.

Snorider
    We recommend to everyone to perform an oil change at 20 hours, and consider the engine broken in around 40-50hrs.
    Make sure to vary the throttle, and some good wide-open throttle runs are healthy for the rings, but not for a long period of time. 2-3 minute bursts are usually a good starting point.

Jungle Boy
    40 HRS!!! eek! eek! It would take most people up here 2 seasons to break in a motor. What kind of engines are we talking here?

01RENEGADE
    When I got my boat they said 20 hrs and to feather the throttle and not to leave it at one rpm or speed to long

Timer
    Back in the '80s when I bought the Eliminator with the 405 HP Harman Marine motor, they told me to take it out and do a couple of WOT runs and that would do it. Never had a problem with that motor, even after running nitrous in it for short blasts.

burbanite
    Modern materials, manufacturing processes and lubricants have all but negated the need to "break in" an engine. Fire it up, allow it to warm up properly with fluctuating rpm, make sure the temps and pressures are where they should be, drain the oil and check for foreign objects, refill and go.

Jungle Boy
    burbanite:
    Modern materials, manufacturing processes and lubricants have all but negated the need to "break in" an engine. Fire it up, allow it to warm up properly with fluctuating rpm, make sure the temps and pressures are where they should be, drain the oil and check for foreign objects, refill and go. Yaa, What Burb says. Some guys that baby their engines for half the summer are wasting a lot of fun time.

James'SS-24
    Break it in like you're gonna drive it! My 496 mag pulled 80 on Havasu with less than 1 hour on it.The only thing I did was not stay at the same RPM too long and avoid excessive idling for the first 10 hours. Once it got to 10 hours the black transom eased up. To date the engine has 77 hours on it(the last 5 with a Whipple charger on it) and uses no oil and has never given any trouble! The whipplecharger completely cured the black transom!

James'SS-24
    Oh yeah, and change the oil at 20 hours the first time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast