Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ford engine in a boat with a Merc Sterndrive?

Dennis Moore
    I would like to write a magazine article about installing a V8 into a boat that was originally equipped with a V6 or 4 cylinder. I will probably use a small block Chevy unless enough people are interested in a Ford 302 or 351. There must be many high performance Ford guys or Ford truck lovers that would be interested in a Ford powered boat. Please respond on the forum or by E-Mail. All responses are welcome.
    Dennis Moore
    MoorePerf@Adelphia.Net

Havasu Hangin'
    Dennis Moore:
    ..There must be many high performance Ford guys or Ford truck lovers that would be interested in a Ford powered boat...Both of them are probably out working on thier engines right now...

Dennis Moore
    Havasu Hangin
    Get serious will ya? Ha Ha!
    Dennis Moore

Jordy
    OK Dennis,
    On a serious note, if you use the Ford motor, are you going to install the pre-fabbed anchor eye on the block? You know, so when you get tired of working on it, you can just throw it overboard and take full advantage of a Ford in the marine application it was designed for? An anchor in your favorite parking place.
    Jordy

Jungle Boy
    jordanpaulk:
    OK Dennis,
    On a serious note, if you use the Ford motor, are you going to install the pre-fabbed anchor eye on the block? You know, so when you get tired of working on it, you can just throw it overboard and take full advantage of a Ford in the marine application it was designed for? An anchor in your favorite parking place.
    Jordy I thought that option was only available on Olds 455 engines. I know of some very fast ford powered boats but no Olds 455s. Hope you don't have a Olds.

Hotcrusader76
    Dennis Moore:
    I would like to write a magazine article about installing a V8 into a boat that was originally equipped with a V6 or 4 cylinder. I will probably use a small block Chevy unless enough people are interested in a Ford 302 or 351. There must be many high performance Ford guys or Ford truck lovers that would be interested in a Ford powered boat. Please respond on the forum or by E-Mail. All responses are welcome.
    Dennis Moore
    MoorePerf@Adelphia.NetI think this would be a great idea! I know of many boaters with under powered sleds that would love to read an article for such as swap.
    Chevy or Ford? Dare to be different is my advice.
    If you wanted some help with this project I am completely onboard for such a project.
    -Ty

spectras only
    Dennis,kudos for you to even mention the four letter world for a project.I must tell you first that I'm unbiased as engines go.I had a ford [429CJ]in my jetboat running over 13 years without problems.I have a chev in my present boat[LS-6],also no problems.I have a 96 mustang GT with the 4.6 modular engine that I beleive would be a good choice for a boat size like a Donzi sweet 16 to the 18 classic.The 16 came with the 4.3 chev package and ran good numbers.The 4.6 sohc and cobra dohc would be great engines for a boat that runs high RPM's all day long.I'm over 60.000 miles on my engine and not a single problem [other than the composite intake manifold that was replaced under warranty].I will replace the intake for the high perf alu one as soon as the 7 year silent warranty expires on this plastic intake wink .With the high rpm redline on these ohc engines ,I could see some good numbers with sterndrives [with reduction gears] as well as jets with B or C cut impellers.Just my 0.02 cdn

Hotcrusader76
    spectras only:
    Dennis,kudos for you to even mention the four letter world for a project.I must tell you first that I'm unbiased as engines go.I had a ford [429CJ]in my jetboat running over 13 years without problems.I have a chev in my present boat[LS-6],also no problems.I have a 96 mustang GT with the 4.6 modular engine that I beleive would be a good choice for a boat size like a Donzi sweet 16 to the 18 classic.The 16 came with the 4.3 chev package and ran good numbers.The 4.6 sohc and cobra dohc would be great engines for a boat that runs high RPM's all day long.I'm over 60.000 miles on my engine and not a single problem [other than the composite intake manifold that was replaced under warranty].I will replace the intake for the high perf alu one as soon as the 7 year silent warranty expires on this plastic intake wink .With the high rpm redline on these ohc engines ,I could see some good numbers with sterndrives [with reduction gears] as well as jets with B or C cut impellers.Just my 0.02 cdn How about an abundantly found 4.6L 2V Ford swap? Or is this not enough torque? Just a thought....

spectras only
    Ty, the 4.6 ohc is a two valve .The 4.6 dohc [cost three times more ] cobra is the 4 valve.The torque is almost identical on both 290/305 .

gnarley
    Dennis, I just sold a vintage 1979 Sleekcraft 21' day cruiser that had been a BBC jet. I aquired it without engine/pump & converted it to an I/O with a hard to find 1970 351/W 4BBL coupled to a volvo 270. It was cheap thrills for the money spent but I never got to see what it could of really done as the engine was in stock form & sold it for a better rough water boat. The plan was to bore & stroke the little 351 the same way is done for the Cobra kit cars. I even miss it now & wonder what it could of done if finished!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast