Thread: shift cable or upper gears

JMC
    My shift cable is being a little tough about going into forward. I unhooked it from the shift mechanism in the bildge area and I can engage it into neutral and reverse very easily by hand but going to forward I dont get that "notch feeling" of engagement nor can I get it to fully engage. It will engage into forward but only if I start it in gear or force it down hard while idling but its puting alot of force on my control shifter. Can I get to where the cable hooks up to the drive with out pulling the drive. Would a visual peek inside the top cap or the back cap work. The boat has set up for a few years and I am hoping its just the cable and not the upper gears. I ran it hard last weekend with no problems but I would like to get it to shift smoother. Who makes the best Service manual for Bravo's? I have been trying to find a cutaway diagram of the Bravo to see whats where in the upper but I am striking out. Thanks in advance!!

h2oski2fast
    Intermediate cable is probably bad. I doubt it's the cone clutch.

TilliamWe
    www.dougrussell.com will give you a good exploded view. Merc service manuals are the best, but expensive.
    It's gonna be the intermediate shift cable. I also doubt gears/clutches as well. And you can't get the the end of it without removing the drive. I would remove the drive, and make sure the end of the cable isn't damaged. The part that's in the drive has a "jaw" that the end that's coming from the boat fits into. It actually pushed on the cable to engage forward, pulls on it to engage reverse. I installed my drive wrong once, and I only had forward, no reverse! SInce you have reverse, it's on there correct, but either corroded, worn, frayed, or severely malajusted. Best of luck.

JMC
    Thanks for the help guys. Great diagram Tilliam. Can that shift arm be accessed by removing the rear cap? Would a little grease or oil on the shift shaft, shift arm and detent help any? This rig has sat up for a few years. I can actually shift it by hand into reverse and neutral with shift cable dissed from shift plate, its just forward thats tough. Thanks again for your help!!

TilliamWe
    I tried to post the same thing yesterday about the detent ball.
    Also, remove the drive, and inspect the end of the cable. The reason it's harder to go into forward, is you are using a small cable to push on the part in the drive where the "jaws" are. Check that area for damage/corrosion.

75spectra
    Merc has had a few problems with the linkage in the rear of the drive as well as the "detent" ball sticking. You can access this stuff by removing the rear cap but drain your oil first or wear old shoes! My eliminator had the detent ball jamming in the rear cap. They also have a service bulletin covering the linkage gouging into the rear cap. Check all this stuff... you can pull the drive and check the cable for smoothness with the drive off.

h2oski2fast
    Thanks for the help guys. Great diagram Tilliam. Can that shift arm be accessed by removing the rear cap? Would a little grease or oil on the shift shaft, shift arm and detent help any? This rig has sat up for a few years. I can actually shift it by hand into reverse and neutral with shift cable dissed from shift plate, its just forward thats tough. Thanks again for your help!!
    Also, were you running the engine while trying to shift it? Drives dont like to shift when the engine is not running.

JMC
    Went out this weekend and ran it with no problems. I guess thats why everyone says dont shift it if its not running. I won't anymore. Thanks for chiming in!