Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine inspection

Never Too Old
    If any of you were buying a used boat with an 800 - 900 hp engine that was built by a top name custom engine builder - would you take it to that builder for inspection or would you take it to a different engine builder to get it checked out?
    Your thoughts, opinions, suggestions will be appreciated.

Roxysnow
    You'd think the builder would know best if there accessible (location)!

OGShocker
    If any of you were buying a used boat with an 800 - 900 hp engine that was built by a top name custom engine builder - would you take it to that builder for inspection or would you take it to a different engine builder to get it checked out?
    Your thoughts, opinions, suggestions will be appreciated.
    I guess there are two schools of thought here. Take it to the builder that knows the engine or take it to a builder you know and trust.
    Me? I would take it to B & D Marine.
    Good luck, NTO!

YeLLowBoaT
    That all depends on what your aloud to do by the owner. There are not alot of ppl out there that will let you pull a head or pan to check it out. Really if they won't you do any thing "major" then any good mechanic can do all of the checks to see what shape the motor is in. If they won;t let you take it to some 1 of your chosing--WALK AWAY. seen way to many ppl burned.

H20 Toie
    If it's a well known builder than take it to them if not then find one or else just take your chances and then you know it will blow up within the first hour.

Jbb
    I would take it to Paul Pfaff...........

riverbound
    I would take it to Paul Pfaff...........
    I heard Photoglou would do that too... :wink:
    ****edit.....for those of you who did not see the winking smiley...this was a joke, due to another thread that is currently going on at this time.

superdave013
    the only way to inspect anything like that is to totaly take it apart and mag check things for cracks and measure things for wear.
    I mean, you can do a compression check and or leak down check but that won't tell you if something MAJOR is about to fail.
    just my 0.02

H20 Toie
    and check the timing :hammer2:

Never Too Old
    Thanks for the replies. My thoughts are:
    If I take it to the builder (highly regarded guy) he might...
    - point out every little thing, even if they make him look bad, or
    -notice some things but not tell me because they would make him look bad, or
    -show me signs of owner abuse, or
    -say to himself "glad nobody noticed this while it was under warranty".
    But he built it, who would know it better.
    Or take it to a top guy that didn't build it. He could have the position that...
    - man , I have to find some things wrong with this engine to show up the builder and make myself look good, or...
    - only point out the really bad stuff because he doesn't want problems with the builder.
    I guess I could always take it to the builder first and then take it to a different guy for a second opinion. Since the health of my wallet is at stake, I could treat it like a medical issue.
    Thanks for your thoughts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast