Thread: Gear Reduction Starter

Schiada76
    I just put a new BBC in a boat and I'm having trouble with the starter. The bendix gear stays in contact with the flexplate even when it's fully retracted. Does anyone know who carries the spacer to set the starter BACK from the plate?
    The standard spacers just set the clearance down and won't work.

FastRat1
    just my 2 cents...ru sure its the rite starter for the motor?..if it is..try stacking some spacers..or u can make 1 out of alum..hope this helps
    Ron

HOSS
    There are 2 seperate nose cones for the chevy starter. Don`t remeber tooth count but 1 is larger(most common)and one is smaller(older like sixties)early seventies. It sounds to me as if the solenoid/spring could be hanging up. If not then you are not shimmed out enough. What you are describing is actually impossible even with any GM starter (V8). To set your gear clearance you should be able to slide a paper clip between the tooth of gear and groove of flywheel gear(groove). The paper clip needs to be bent straight. Check the rear of your starter. Make sure its not binding on anything like a bracket or exhaust while tightenning bolts. This would cause it to be on an angle. Starter must be fully mated to block.

Schiada76
    It's a Hitachi starter and it's not hanging up. You can watch the bendix gear extend and retract when you turn the key, it just doesn't retract far enough. They make a shim that shims the starter itself BACK from it's own mounting block. RB performance in Parker has them. The common shims shim it down from the block so that you don't hang it up.
    Thanks for the replys.

HOSS
    I run McLeod mini. Yes it does. You should look to see if Summit sells them and if so they could order you a set. My GM hi-torque mini does too. I`ve never had to use them though. Lucky I guess.
    [ August 19, 2003, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: HOSS ]