Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBF carb... hotcrusader???

Snorider
    Wondering what carb to install on my boat... Here is what i got:
    460 Ford, D00E-R intake, Berk jet drive, B impeller. Plan a rebuild soon... prolly 514 or 532ci, and a new intake as well - so i want something that will work for both new and old motor.
    Right now the motor runs 4800rpm at WOT...
    First decision: 650, 750, 850 cfm?
    2nd decision: Vacuum or Mechanical Secondaries?
    3rd: Get a BG Sea Demon right?
    Just wanted to add its a 19' boat. Current carb wont let the boat start up without holding it to the floor - it has gotten worse over time... I think its a 650, may be a 600. definately a holley
    Other than that it has excellent throttle response. Previous owner rigged the secondaries to remain open all the time when past 1/4 throttle - so the thing runs well, just chew A LOT of gas...
    [ July 15, 2003, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: Snorider ]

Hotcrusader76
    For a Lake Boat seeing those RPMs a BG Sea Demon 750 would work best for ya. Otherwise a Holley 750 is also suitable.
    Vacuum or Mechanical? Personaly I like mechanical, but a properly tuned Vacuum secondary is also very potent on the water.
    The only downside on vacuum secondaries,in everyone's eyes but mine, is adjusting the secondary opening rates. No problem. Today's market offers adjustable vacuum houseings where you can remove the spring without taking off the canister, it's been around for a long time now but they aren't as robust as the newer designs.
    The other killer new option is the Billet externaly adjustable vacuum canister. It only uses a screw to adjust the amount of pull the diaphragm sees on the secondaries. Hallet19 will have this set-up added to his TPC 790-VSR carb as soon as it's finished at the shop. It's a way to really put the VS carb back in power.
    BG Sea Demon's? Come on now...LOL
    Now if you're going the 514 route....then definitely step up into an 850DP (Annular booster). The BG Sea Demon's will seem rich from the start but with some patience you can detune them a bit. I don't think they have Annular boostered Sea Demons, but if ya came upon a junked out one I could build it to specs.
    The 825 Race Demon in my Avatar was a junker that inherited a new baseplate, all new polish/powdercoat, new gaskets, floats, hardware, boosters, etc etc. It can be done.
    Second time editing this post...
    Those RPMs are probably being limited by that little carb. It has straight leg boosters which are starving that motor. I would bet that a 750DP would fetch another 5-600RPM alone.
    [ July 15, 2003, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Hotcrusader76 ]

Hallett19
    I cant wait for my new billet piece. Ty put the billet base plate on my carb and the setup looks sweet !! I personally like the vac. secondary for the fuel economy. My boat is not a speed boat and under cruise, it uses half the gas a DP would use. Call me crazy, but I like going long distances in my boat and not burning money on gas.

LakesOnly
    My .02, if I may,
    My Ford 460 ran a Holley 850 Double Pumper w/o any problems whatsoever. This was with thru-transom exh, aluminum intake and 10.5:1 compression. It worked flawlessly.
    I'll bet you can dial one in for your current set-up and also be able to reconfigure for the larger cube engine.
    LO

Hotcrusader76
    Those BBFs love fuel...
    Give it the spurs and you'll never regret it.
    God I love Fords...now only if I can mount my distributer in the front of my BB ch&^y

Go with the 850 d/p....BBFs love airflow

not guilty
    I run twin stern drive mildly built 460's in my 27 . Put holley comp 830's on them with 88f/94r jetting , runs great.Also like not having a choke circuit to load it up , dont do a lot of winter driving . NG
    [ July 16, 2003, 07:05 AM: Message edited by: not guilty ]

Blown 472
    Hotcrusader76:
    Those BBFs love fuel...
    Give it the spurs and you'll never regret it.
    God I love Fords...now only if I can mount my distributer in the front of my BB ch&^y And drag down a great motor?? you keep your rear dist chubby junk.

Snorider
    Does anyone sell an adapter for the weiand high rise so you can mount 1 4barrel on it instead of 2? I really like the look of a high-rise (and the performance gain too), but i just dont want to dig that deep for a pair of new carbs...
    Otherwise, a pair of 650s should do me fine right?

Blown 472
    Snorider:
    Does anyone sell an adapter for the weiand high rise so you can mount 1 4barrel on it instead of 2? I really like the look of a high-rise (and the performance gain too), but i just dont want to dig that deep for a pair of new carbs...
    Otherwise, a pair of 650s should do me fine right? If you are going to do that why not buy a good single plane intake and forgo the lean/rich dealio with a single carb tunnel ram set up. Victor would work really well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast