Thread: Exhaust Manifolds

dgie
    Just curious if anyone knows, is it possible to take a regular set of exhaust manafolds for a small block chevy. drill some ports and install some water injectors to cool the exhaust, this is a Through The Transom setup of course. If this method would work it would be much cheaper to convert these automotive manifolds as opposed to dropping the big bills on marine ones

pgf127rt
    dgie:
    Just curious if anyone knows, is it possible to take a regular set of exhaust manafolds for a small block chevy. drill some ports and install some water injectors to cool the exhaust, this is a Through The Transom setup of course. If this method would work it would be much cheaper to convert these automotive manifolds as opposed to dropping the big bills on marine ones There is no way that will work, marine logs have water jackets, which keep the water out of the engine, the first thing that would happen in your application would be to hydrualic the engine.

dgie
    Well I will install a set of tubes inside the manifolds face them down and away from the exhaust ports.

HalletDave
    Well I will install a set of tubes inside the manifolds face them down and away from the exhaust ports. pig_flyi
    Lots of luck.
    HD

Bow Tie Omega
    Water injected and Water Jacketed are two different things. For what you are trying to accomplish, I believe you want the latter and that just would not be possible to accomplish on an automotive exhaust manifold. A water injected manifold would not accomplish what I am under the impression of what you are trying to accomplish. Just touch a water injected header after it has been running for a while (OUCH!!!) and then touch a water jacketed unit (warm but tollerable) I give you an A for ingenuity. If cost is a determining factor in this quest, start off with a used pair of logs (very cheap) and mission accomplished. Good luck with your endeavors...Joe