Thread: Volvo Outdrive Shower?

CHOVY-MAN
    Hi: All
    I Know Merc Outdrives Need Drive Showers, But What About Volvos Sx? My Sx Is Hooked To A 400hp Fi 454, The Drive Is Showing A Little White On The Top Casing, Is This Overheating Or Just Use? About 125 Hrs. On The Boat.
    Thnaks

Squirtin Thunder
    I will say this the Volvo Out Drive is about the strongest on the market, but they are not the best performing. Anything you can do to help protect from heat is a good thing. You may also think about a nose cone to help make it a bit more efficiant. Also check all the seals and boots.

Havasu Hangin'
    The chalky stuff is probably hard water deposits drying from the heat on top- very common on all drives.
    Volvos are great drives...but you're going to have to get someone to fab a shower since the top cap is different than a Merc. The main thing is to keep good oil in it...

gnarley
    It's shouldn't need a shower due to the fact that there is an internal water jacket that cools the case as it's sent to the engine. I tried to get a shower for my King Cobra and was told it doesn't need it. Merc's have no cooling so thay need the shower. If Merc designed their drive a little better you'd think they would have colled the drive with water that it picks up and sends to the engine.

Squirtin Thunder
    It's shouldn't need a shower due to the fact that there is an internal water jacket that cools the case as it's sent to the engine. I tried to get a shower for my King Cobra and was told it doesn't need it. Merc's have no cooling so thay need the shower. If Merc designed their drive a little better you'd think they would have colled the drive with water that it picks up and sends to the engine.
    But it couldn't hurt !!!

CHOVY-MAN
    MANY THANKS FOR THE INPUT GUYS
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL