Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: SO NOw that ARNIE BLEW MILLIONS

Havasu_Dreamin
    Bottom line schools are failing and you are blameing the students.
    Make no mistake, students and parents are to blame for the problems as well.

Havasu Hangin'
    HH,
    I won't dispute the system your wife works in as it sounds pretty sound. There are many other cities/counties out there that are in a system that is no where near like the one your wife works in.
    So far, she has taught in four districts (including Contra Costa)...and they were all pretty much the same. The only exception was a private school, where they really didn't care about performance- go figure.
    My contention is that every company has bad apples...no question. Are teachers any better/worse because there is a union? Nope. I have slugs sitting next to me right now, and last I checked, there was no union here.
    Arnold is barking up the wrong tree...

Kilrtoy
    From Websters:
    1 : a status granted after a trial period to a teacher that gives protection from summary dismissal
    Ok so they are on PROBATION for two years...
    What other job has probation for two years.....

OGShocker
    From Websters:
    1 : a status granted after a trial period to a teacher that gives protection from summary dismissal
    Waiting Kilrtoy? :hammer2:

Kilrtoy
    Waiting Kilrtoy? :hammer2:
    Look above.... :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :eat:

uclahater
    So give them a 90 day probation like most jobs :idea: Make them an "At Will Employee" like everyone else with a normal job, and call it good :idea:

Havasu47
    Mrs HH was hired in (Fullerton) at $28K/year with a bachelors and credential. If you equate that to a 12 month position...that's $37K/year. Hell...she could have taken her resume' and gone ANYWHERE and made more money (she actually took a paycut from a sales job she had).
    Something about "influencing young minds"...what a load of crap.
    I commend anyone who cares enough to want to teach our children. The #'s that HH put up are real. My daughter graduated from a University with a Bachelors of Science in Education. She is now in graduate school to get her Teaching Credentials and Master's. I have watched her work her ass of for what I consider a VERY UNDERPAID profession because she loves children and believes in education. The cost of her degrees will be very high when you consider the payback. Other proffessions would certainly have higher starting salaries than $28,000.00 for 6 years of college education.
    Try living in So. Ca. on your own on a $28000.00 income.

Havasu Hangin'
    OK. So how should the tapayer feel about dumping money into a school full of non english speaking students. The test scores are low, feels like spending money for something and getting nothing. The tax payers don't controll imagration.
    Every time I see the student that wins the spelling bee, the student is always asain.
    Bottom line schools are failing and you are blameing the students.
    I disagree. The taxpayers do control immigration. Vote for someone who has the huevos to address it. Perhaps you did not read this part:
    Instead of fixing the education spending by:
    A. Mandating English in classrooms
    and/or..
    B. Hiring and implementing more ESL classes through all grades
    That is fixing the education system to adapt to the student body.
    Any more questions?

Kilrtoy
    They are on Probabtion for two years, I am not aware of any other job that has a period this long. Basically in the first two years you can be fired if the principal does not like you, regardless of how good you are....after that they are given a board of rights(name varies from district) and can still be shit canned after the proper paper work is completed.....
    So why is everyone so up in arms about tenure.
    Its because unless you work in and around teachers you have no clue what they go thru
    I dont get it, teachers work hard and they work for a little money, they could make alot more in the private sector, but they MOST, not ALL care about educating the children
    Next time any of you feel like walking on water, go sit in a 5 grade classroom for 6 hours and then tell me they don't deserve the money they make....

Havasu_Dreamin
    None that I am aware of. There is a difference though when comparing a job with tenure to a job without thenure. In most jobs, you can be fired for cause. Tenure makes it difficult to fire teachers that are underperforming.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast