Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: San Francisco Voters Approve Handgun Ban

Phat Matt
    SAN FRANCISCO - Voters approved ballot measures to ban handguns in San Francisco and urge the city's public high schools and college campuses to keep out military recruiters.
    The gun ban prohibits the manufacture and sale of all firearms and ammunition in the city, and makes it illegal for residents to keep handguns in their homes or businesses.
    Only two other major U.S. cities — Washington and Chicago — have implemented such sweeping handgun bans.
    With all precincts reporting early Wednesday, 58 percent of voters backed the proposed gun ban while 42 percent opposed it.
    Although law enforcement, security guards and others who require weapons for work are exempt from the measure, current handgun owners would have to surrender their firearms by April.
    A coalition led by the National Rifle Association has said it plans to challenge the initiative in court, arguing that cities do not have the authority to regulate firearms under California law.
    The military recruitment initiative won with 60 percent in favor and 40 percent against.
    The measure, dubbed "College Not Combat," opposes the presence of military recruiters at public high schools and colleges. However, it would not ban the armed forces from seeking enlistees at city campuses, since that would put schools at risk of losing federal funding.
    It encourages city officials and university administrators to exclude recruiters and create scholarships and training programs that would reduce the military's appeal to young adults.
    "We now have the moral weight of the city behind us, and it's definitely a valuable asset to have in our corner," said Bob Matthews, an activist for the proposition.
    That is BS if you ask me! Now you can't even protect yourself. The criminals don't have their guns legally anyway!!!

I Feel the Need...
    It's against the 2nd amendment and won't last!

cdog
    The US Goverment should cut off all funding to San Fran since they do not honor and follow our constitutional rights. Total BS. I boycott that dam place anyway because of all the lefty wack jobs that run it . Does anyone want to go in on a couple of newspaper adds in San Fran to buy some guns? I'm sure we can get them for cheap.

Red Eye
    All I can say is WTF??? What part of "Right To Bear Arms" doesn't San Fran understand? If I was a criminal, I know where I'd want to live.

uvindex
    How hard is it to realize that gun laws only affect LAW ABIDING citizens. By definition, criminals don't follow the law, and therefore criminals will be the only ones with the guns in SF. Sheesh, what a city.

Jeanyus
    The rigt to bare arms, means you can wear a tank top.
    Taking away the right to bear arms in unconstitutional. But to tell you the truth I'm OK with disarming that bunch of wierdos.

cdog
    I predict that it will spread throughout all of CA over the next 5-10 years. One hair at a time.............

Dribble
    Hey come on now guys. Chicago and Washington DC have banned guns and they're two of the safest cities in the country.
    Aren't they ??????

cdog
    Hey come on now guys. Chicago and Washington DC have banned guns and they're two of the safest cities in the country.
    Aren't they ??????
    The crime rate in those cities has gone up drasticly since the gun ban. Besides, we have a constitutional right to have guns.

uvindex
    The crime rate in those cities has gone up drasticly since the gun ban. Besides, we have a constitutional right to have guns.He was using sarcasm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast