Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: please HELP:transom housing removal

BRAWNY
    looking for a little advise on removing transom housing.removed alot
    of silicone,but it just doesnt seem to budge.prying,pulling just isnt enough.anybody have any suggestions or tricks that work?
    thanks in advance brawny

bakerjet
    get a couple of thin putty knifes and wedge'm in and pry around on it it'll turn loose.

BRAWNY
    yes the motor is still in the boat,trying the putty knife now,seems to
    be getting in,just dont think its deep enough.havent given up yet.thanks for your input. brawny

get a couple of thin putty knifes and wedge'm in and pry around on it it'll turn loose.
    I'm gonna have to agree , the thin putty knives are gonna be your best bet. Try not to get too crazy with the cheese whiz and start swingin away at it like a serial killer !
    -beerjet-

cave
    I did mine and it was a biatch. I used some WD-40 with a thin Putty knife. I wanted to break out the small sledge hammer and start whacking away. Be patient.
    Is the pump still in the housing? I had to remove the engine to get the pump out then I was able to remove the transom housing. Good luck

poncho-pwr
    Some asshole used 3M 5200 sealant on the transom housing on my boat and after battleing that thing for almost two hours with putty knives and long straught razor blades I wanted to hunt him down and seal his ass and mouth shut with that stuff. I feel your pain my friend, just keep at it and it will come off.

502 JET
    Some asshole used 3M 5200 sealant on the transom housing on my boat and after battleing that thing for almost two hours with putty knives and long straight razor blades I wanted to hunt him down and seal his ass and mouth shut with that stuff. I feel your pain my friend, just keep at it and it will come off.
    That 3M 5200 is some bad a$$ stuff.It is not meant for anything that will ever need to be disassembled.You can put this stuff on and you wont need bolts or screws.I have seen this stuff pull off gel coat.The 3M 4200 is the stuff made for disassembly.You were lucky you removed your adapter with the transom intact.
    The gentle putty knife tapped in and worked around the adapter worked for me after I cut away all the silicone I could.

mappy01
    should I come back over with my putty knives?

El Prosecutor
    Grease and gasket works good when you put it back on. No leaks here.

robk
    Grease and gasket works good when you put it back on. No leaks here.
    I second that! Worked great for me....
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast