Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to transfer water, water pump question

Magic34
    This is regarding putting more water into my toyhauler while at the dunes for longer stays.
    OK, so being a shower freak where I like to have 2 of them a day and also the fact that I have a wife and daughter, I think that I am going to need more water than the 150 gallons that I'll bring with me to the dunes.
    Here is my question...
    I have some 55 gallon water jugs that I can take and fill somewhere near the dunes to put into my trailer. I think that an extra 55 is all I will need, but a good friend is in the same situation as I am so I'll bring 2 plastic drums.
    Now really getting to the question.... What pump do I need so I can get 55 gallons of water from a jug into my trailer in a reasonable amount of time (5 minutes or less)?
    The idea is to plug in the pump and hook it up to the drum and trailer and make the water go into the traler from the 55 gallon jug.
    What type of pump do I need?
    Thanks!

mike37
    go to your local RV supply and get a pump from them they should have 12 volt pumps that will work

Mandelon
    A Marine store like West Marine might have the parts you need as well. Can you put a high GPH bilge pump in the bottom of the barrel?

riverroyal
    we went through about 130 gallons in 3 days last weekend.So you may need more.

Magic34
    A Marine store like West Marine might have the parts you need as well. Can you put a high GPH bilge pump in the bottom of the barrel?
    I don't know what the access was like for the water jugs. My parents got all weird around the y2k stuff and bought 5-6 of these plastic jugs. Now I am going to make 2 disappear from their collection, they just sit in a corner of the patio empty anyways. So, I'll have to look at the jugs. All I have ever done before this was made fun of those jugs and now I want one or 2. :boxed:

Mandelon
    do they have any through fittings on them? Like a hose bib on the bottom part of a water heater or a threaded fitting you could plumb to?

Magic34
    do they have any through fittings on them? Like a hose bib on the bottom part of a water heater or a threaded fitting you could plumb to?
    I dont know. I'll look tomorrow.

phebus
    Like Mandy said, check marine stores. The wash down shower on the bow of my boat has the pump mounted on the transom, and the pickup mounted on the bottom of the boat, so it must be a self priming pump. I imagine you could put the pump on the top of the barrel, with a pick up tube extending into the barrel, and pump to your tank.
    Another thought is that if your carrying the barrels in the trailer, they would be higher than your holding tank, and you could just siphon the water from the barrels to the tank.

wanna B V
    Any good rv water pump will work. I use a 110v pump thats self priming w/ a rigid tube that extends to the bottom ov the barrel. Every other day I;ll fill the tank on the rv while there, that way it doesnt take forever to fill.

superdave013
    Granger will have what you need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast