Thread: Points vs electronic converstion kits.

YeLLowBoaT
    I was looking online at the mallory electronic coverstion kits for points dist.
    I was wondering is any 1 out there runing one in a mid 60s Gm dist??? I know points work I am just wondering if its worth the $90 for the upgrade. Also will it hold up in a boat.
    Thanks for you imput....
    God I can't wait to light this thing up... now if I can just find a carb and some gauges.....

I was looking online at the mallory electronic coverstion kits for points dist.
    I was wondering is any 1 out there runing one in a mid 60s Gm dist??? I know points work I am just wondering if its worth the $90 for the upgrade. Also will it hold up in a boat.
    Thanks for you imput....
    God I can't wait to light this thing up... now if I can just find a carb and some gauges.....
    Go with the Crane or Pertronics kit. Crane is a little more verstatile with the built in rev limiter that is adjustable but it is more money. The Pertronic's is cheaper but a very good unit.

Devilman
    My 460 has some sort of early points type distributor that somebody put one of those kits in. It seems to work fine, but nobody seems to know what it is. I have tried repeatedly to just get a cap & rotor for it. Nobody has been able to ID it, so I'm changing to a late model electronic ign. distributor. This old one is a joke. On another note, a friend of mine converted his points type dist. to electronic on the 390 that's in his truck with the Pertronix kit. He is perfectly pleased with it! Hope this helps.....

GofastRacer
    The Pertronix is a very good unit, I also used the Accel unit for $59 it was a no brainer to install and a got a ton of trouble free miles out of it!..

Havasu47
    The Mallory Unilite Marine kit is very good also. It is Coast Guard approved and works very well. A little more because of the Coast Guard stamp but I think it is worth it. The old style Unilite had some reliability problems but those problems have been resolved for years.
    Just another option.
    Oh yeah.... loose the points!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Go with the Crane or Pertronics kit. Crane is a little more verstatile with the built in rev limiter that is adjustable but it is more money. The Pertronic's is cheaper but a very good unit.
    Ill second this!! I ran the crane one in my olds and it worked flawless. Jegs has them for around $65. The crane kit kicks a$$ I used a stock cap and rotor and hooked it up in 10 minute. But before I intstalled it I had my dist curved on a machine then I added the kit.