Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cam break in

mike37
    what is it that we are trying to accomplish
    and what is the bust way to do it and not "F" it up
    is it just to give the cam and lifters a chance to mate
    I have had some different opinions and non make any sense to me

Wicked Performance Boats
    I have had some different opinions and non make any sense to me Why would you have an opinion that makes no sense? Just follow the cam manufactures suggested break in. Budlight

mike37
    Why would you have an opinion that makes no sense? Just follow the cam manufactures suggested break in. Budlight
    no I didn't have and opinion others have given me some that don't make any sense
    like on the first start up run the motor up to 1800 rpm and that is to get oil up on the lifters and cam to lubricate them

Wicked Performance Boats
    It shoud be 2000 to 2500 for twenty minutes. The reason is #1. camshafts get most of their lube from the crankshaft slinging oil around and lifter galley drainback. #2. Lifters are meant to rotate in the lifter bore as they are offset, and if you don't run the engine on breakin high enough. the lifters don't spin and start imediately getting a flat spot and now the cam goes flat. The newest thing from cam manufacturers is to only run the outer springs during break in and then install inner springs on high spring pressure applications. BL

mike37
    It shoud be 2000 to 2500 for twenty minutes. The reason is #1. camshafts get most of their lube from the crankshaft slinging oil around and lifter galley drainback. #2. Lifters are meant to rotate in the lifter bore as they are offset, and if you don't run the engine on breakin high enough. the lifters don't spin and start imediately getting a flat spot and now the cam goes flat. The newest thing from cam manufacturers is to only run the outer springs during break in and then install inner springs on high spring pressure applications. BL
    so do you need to do this after the motor sets for a long time cus the oils will be drained off of every thing

Wicked Performance Boats
    No, only on breakin. But it doesn't hurt to crank it over some to get oil pressure up before firing it up after it's been sitting for an extended time. BL

SmokinLowriderSS
    No, only on breakin. But it doesn't hurt to crank it over some to get oil pressure up before firing it up after it's been sitting for an extended time. BL
    Yep. Once the cam and lifters are polished together on break-in, no other special treatment is required.
    I was advised to do just as Wicked said, and worked fine for me last spring.
    Fire up and maintain between 2,000 & 2500, no more, no less, NO IDLING, for 20 minuites. DuaneHTP had no real preference for oil type, with 1 caveat. I was running Syntech synthetic, which he has seen no trouble with (and worked fine). He has seen trouble from the BLEND semi-synthetics and advised against running that on break-in. He doesn't have an explanation for the cam flattening when breaking in on that but it is a phenomena he has seen enough to be wary.
    I was also advised to leave my inner springs out for 10 hrs or so, just run my outers and dampers. This also caused no trouble.
    Use the break in lube the cam maker sends along LIBERALLY. You can't really use too much I don't think.

Blown 472
    There is an article in this months hot rod or car craft about this.
    One thing I did was have the motor assembled on the stand with out the intake on and put a dab of paint on the top of the lifter and lined them all up and went thru the valve lash and the ones that didn't turn while rotating the motor got swapped to different hole until they turned. Then paint the cam with break in lube with a small brush pour some eos over in and botton it up. I did have cam lube on the cam and lifters while running the lash.

HammerDown
    If you REALLY want to better the chances of a good Cam break in...then do so with just the outter valve springs in. Run it for a few hours (no high RPM under 3000)...then install the inner springs.
    It takes a little work but after I wiped a lobe out in 20 minutes, I'm glad I did it the above way second time around.

TIMINATOR
    Break in with Shell Rotella T diesel 30 wt oil and a can of GM engine oil supplement until the first oil change. Long story... just do it, it works. TIMINATOR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast