Thread: MSD Distributer ID

bocco
    I have an MSD distributor that came on my boat (not original) that looks different from all of the other ones I've seen. The body of the distributor, instead of being all billet is only billet on the lower part of the distributor. The part of the body that is directly under the dist cap is made out of a plastic or nylon type of material. I am also concernred that the cap does not fit real snugly and has a bit of side to side play.
    Is it an old style marine? Junk? It seems to work OK and I haven't had any problems with it but I don't think it is a marine dist and I'm concerned about the way the cap fits.
    Thanks
    Gary

sanger rat
    Your distributer is the same as mine. It the old style MSD. Should have two brass screens on the bottom if it's a marine. Are you using the bolts with the nuts or the bolts with the hook on the bottom to hold the cap down? If you are using the cap with the hooks cut them off and use the bolts with nuts. And if you have the cap with the window you have to trim the bottom off on the black plastic door or get the marine cap with out the door.

bocco
    Your distributer is the same as mine. It the old style MSD. Should have two brass screens on the bottom if it's a marine. Are you using the bolts with the nuts or the bolts with the hook on the bottom to hold the cap down? If you are using the cap with the hooks cut them off and use the bolts with nuts. And if you have the cap with the window you have to trim the bottom off on the black plastic door or get the marine cap with out the door.
    I'm pretty sure that there is no place to screw the cap to if I cut off the spring hooks. I know that the newer distributors have tabs for the screws. There are no screens so I guess it's not marine.