Thread: olds, first build

jrau
    after trading to a jet boat it started using oil. I have built numerous chev. engines but this is a olds 455. my machinist is putting together a short block with speed pro L2323 pistons. stock rods shot peened and resized. stock bolts,as per his advise. will this be too much compression and will stock bolts survive. he says unlike a car the boat never sees backwind loads which is what is hard on rod bolts. also he says to use the original cam but it was dead above 3800. didn't ever even act like it had much load up to that point. boat is 17ft. with berkley jc pump. not sure what impeller. would run 58mph top at 3900. I think i need more cam. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks

FastTimmy
    Any engine worth more than fifty bucks should have good rod bolts. Yes, it is true that engine load is not pulling the rod bolts apart but RPM is, especialy sustained RPM. Have any specs on the so called stock cam? Most olds cams aren't in good enough shape to reuse either. Also sounds like a A impeller, anyone agree?

djdplacecraft
    JRAU unfortunatelly oldsmopiles dont give u much option on cams due to the fact that they dont have adjustable valves.Ucan get adjustable pushrods from isky,and i think crane makes a rockershaft kit like the ford fe styles u should put good rod bolts in it thats like crapin without whiping bad idea.U really should save your money and retrofit with a bbc it would be cheaper in the long run and its pretty easy>

jrau
    cam is a gm thats all i know. motor is the original olds marine. very slight lope at idle. I am putting new hd. bolts in. they worked for w-30, w-31 olds motors. with the increased compression couldnt i run a little more cam. I pluged the exhaust x-over at the heads and bowl blended, removed air bumps. just a little worried about compression, and cam selection. old one died too fast.

jrau
    dont want a bbc. cheaper to work on but anyone can build one. want soomthing different. this boat ran well for 25years. why change a good thing. I just want a little more out of it not more than 5000 rpms

blowngas
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by jrau:
    [B]dont want a bbc. cheaper to work on but anyone can build one. want soomthing different. this boat ran well for 25years. why change a good thing. I just want a little more out of it not more than 5000 rpms
    you should be able to get a cam with a little more bump from any aftermarket supplier---last resort is mondello--he is a little pricy but is the guru on olds motors--be aware of inherent olds oiling problems and their not wanting to live at sustained high rpm runs--keep the rev's down and keep your motor alive--have fun--be safe and watch for the other guy

djdplacecraft
    I know a guy that has a studabaker motor for sale that would be different and a lot better than a oldsmopile! But good luck and have fun with it well see ya at the boat ramp.(working on it)