Thread: Computer Networking?

welk2party
    I want to set up a wireless network in my office. Is this a good idea? It seems like it would be cheaper than running wire. Also, can you run a printer wireless? Can I set this up, or should I hire a pro?

Jyruiz
    It is a good idea if you secure it, and there is wireless printers. All pretty easy stuff to do.

welk2party
    How do you secure it? Special software? The printer has to be a wireless? So a high capacity printer probably will not work then.

Jyruiz
    You encrypt the wireless router and only PC's with the encryption key are allow to get on the network. Also, there are wireless Jet direct cards you can use to hook up your printers to the router.

welk2party
    Can a non-tech idiot put this together?

Jyruiz
    Can a non-tech idiot put this together?
    Maybe it is easy for me since that is what I do where I work, but I am sure if you read the instructions and fallow them, you should be ok.

NashvilleBound
    My IT guy just finished my new office....all wireless. Every office and the printers are all wireless.... as much as its all very secure and extremely high speed, I think I will hardwire the printer just so the contracts don't have any glitches..... the new systems are pretty user freindly and almost anyone can set them up. Fact is, the best router we found was at Office Depot amazingly enough.