Thread: Bad coil??

bordsmnj
    ok, anyone know how to bench test a coil? i thought my msd box went out so i bought a new one. still got no spark.

Wicked Performance Boats
    I don't know how to bench test a coil but if it's on the boat. Pull the coil wire and hold it near ground to see if it sparks. If no spark, Take a test light and touch the pos side of coil w/key on, testlite should lite up. if it does, go to neg side of coil and touch testlite to it while cranking and see if the light pulsates. I think you can take it to checker or autozone and have it tested. Budlight

You can test the coil with an ohm meter. Disconnect the wires and measure A) from primary negative to primary positive and B) from secondary to either of the primaries.
    In test A) you should have something on the order of 1 ohm. In test B) you should get something on the order of 15K ohms. NOTE: for specific numbers you need to check with the coil manufacturer.MSD website has some good tech help, including how to tell if the box is working.

bordsmnj
    alright, cool. thankyou. i'm on it.

bordsmnj
    primary reads .7ohms and primary to secondary reads open.

primary reads .7ohms and primary to secondary reads open.
    Sounds like you need a coil.

bordsmnj
    hmmm, lets see if i can find one on sunday. :boxed:

bordsmnj
    ok so i went and bought another coil. tessted it and found it to be open also. so it doawned on me that the meter i was using reads anything over 1k ohms as open. the old coil reads 15k ohms and the new one reads 7.5k. but i am using an old analog meter that i found in the garage that is probably 40 or 50 years old. the new coil produces spark,though. i did this by bypassing the msd pick up. hopefully i dont have to replace that ,too(ain't gonna find one today), although i'm gonna order one anyway.