Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timing Questions- 460 Content

stashtrey
    Just bought a Pertronix electronic ignition conversion for my 460 Ford. I've never timed an engine so this will be my first time. I bought a decent timing light and I'm just trying to prepare myself now.
    What is the proper timing for a stock, marine 460 Ford? I thought I read some place someone said 8 deg before top dead center..... any suggestions? With gas prices like they are and the overall old age of my motor I'd like to have it set at something mild.
    Which plug, when looking at the motor from the front, would be the #1 plug? I read it would be driver side (on left hand drive jet boat) plug....
    With this electronic Pertronix kit... I shouldn't have to worry about things like 'dwell' or 'gap' anymore.... correct? I just need to install the unit and time the engine and I should be good to go?
    One more thing... does anyone know what direction a Prestolite 460 distributor rotates? Counter clock or clockwise?
    As usual... thanks in advance for any help and advice I get!!! !

stashtrey
    I brought the boat home today and pulled the back seat to get a look at the front of the engine.... trying to familiarize myself before I go out and try to do the timing.
    I was able to find the markings on the crank/harmonic balancer..... but I have this large aluminum plate on the front of the motor and I can't seem to locate anything on the engine block to reference with the markings on the crank/balancer.
    Am I missing something?
    Here's a picture of what I was looking at... maybe I'm just too much of a noob to figure this out. I'm starting to lose my mind (see my other thread).
    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-.../fronteng2.jpg
    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-.../fronteng1.jpg
    Also... after installing the pertronix electronic conversion.... I'm now unable to get the motor to start. It's getting spark but just gasping and it even backfired through the carb.
    I'm ready to put this thing out in the bad side of town and let someone steal it.

ONAROLL
    you should have a "pointer" on that aluminum plate, you will have to time it by ear, as you turn the motor over to start it, rotate your distributor till it starts, when your motor starts, slowly continue to rotate the distributor till it smooths out, continue to rotate it till the motor idles up, back it off just a little and tighten your distrubutor clamp, try to restart the motor in this position if it starts good, leave it and find a timing pointer, it wont be perfect but half the guys I know dont even time with a light.........Vic

stashtrey
    Yeah... I looked for quite a while to find some kind of pointer or mark on that aluminum plate but I honestly couldn't see anything.
    I tried to rotate the distributor nudge by nudge to see if I could get it to start but that's when the gigantic backfire came out of my carb. I got a little worried that I was going to destroy something and decided to call it a day.
    Should I be worried about that backfire through the carb?
    I guess I installed the Pertronix properly as the motor was definitely getting spark.....
    I have an appointment on Tuesday to bring my boat into a shop right by my house that works on jet boats..... .maybe I should just leave this up to people that actually do this for a living.... I feel I'm out of my element.

ONAROLL
    ah shit........it gets more interesting after you "almost" burn your garage down a couple times..............

stashtrey
    You can say that again.
    My wife is losing patience with my new 'hobby'.
    But seriously.... can a backfire through the carb cause any damage.... should I be concerned about anything?

ONAROLL
    You could have blown a power valve in your carb, no big deal, just let your mechanic know about the backfire............

stashtrey
    Right on... as you can probably tell I'm a bit neurotic and paranoid when it comes to this stuff.
    Hopefully this shop will do good work for me. It was the only shop in town that I could get to see my boat on short notice. I'm supposed to be at Berryessa with my brother and his family Friday morning for two nights..... I don't want to be my brother's boat bitch all weekend.... rather have my own!!
    Thanks for your time and for easing my mind!! Hopefully I'll report back with good news.

Hallett19
    I have backfired my 460 dozens of times, just happens, and never blew a power valve either but I heard that is what can happen. You will get it running fine, I'm sure, but that MSD, its where its at, trust me !
    And are there numbers on your dampener to reference once you get a pointer on there ? Mine were covered by a few crappy paint jobs, I sandblasted mine, painted it Ford Blue and can see all the numbers fine now

LakesOnly
    First of all, the #1 cylinder is the forward most cylinder on the passenger-side cylinder bank, not the driver's side. This is probably why your engine is backfiring and not starting.
    .................(FAN)..................
    .............(FLYWHEEL)..............
    So get your timing light off number five and put it on number one. Make sure your distributor was oriented correctly for this configuration...in other words, did you install the dizzy with the thought that #5 was number #1? If so, pull it out and reset it.
    LO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast