Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flu drug killing people...but lots of money to be made.

bigq
    The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is investigating reports that the deaths of 12 Japanese children may be linked to the anti-viral drug Tamiflu. The possibility has caused alarm, since millions of doses of the drug are currently being stockpiled for use in a potential flu pandemic.
    Also Linked to Seizures
    Tamiflu has also been linked to neuropsychiatric incidents in children, including seizures, loss of consciousness, and delirium.
    Jumping Off of Roofs
    The reports mention incidents including:
    * A 14-year-old boy with flu took a dose of Tamiflu and two hours later fell from the ninth floor of his apartment building
    * Another child, hours after taking a dose, jumped from the second floor of his house into deep snow
    Tamiflu Used FAR More Frequently in Japan
    However, it is important to realize that the reason Tamiflu side effects may show up earlier in Japan is that Tamiflu is used 12 times more frequently in Japan than in the United States -- 11.6 million prescriptions for children in Japan between 2001 and 2005, compared to about 872,000 during that same period in the United States.
    Lets see ... the USA just placed the order for Tamiflu of 2 BILLION dollars for a worthless drug that we have to get because of scare tactics of our government for a bird flu of all things...BIRD FLU! WTF?

Blown 472
    Lets see ... the USA just placed the order for Tamiflu of 2 BILLION dollars for a worthless drug that we have to get because of scare tactics of our government for a bird flu of all things...BIRD FLU! WTF?
    And rummy stands to make a shit load of money on it too.

bigq
    And rummy stands to make a shit load of money on it too.
    Yup, although he is not the only one, it interesting though isn't it. I think this kind of panic has happen before with pigs, swin flu or something like that. The Flu vaccine is one of the bigger scams of our time so far. I would not put that crap in my kids.

Seadog
    In case you weren't aware of it, almost all of the major flus have started in birds. The flu usually transmute to the swine herds and then humans. 30 million people died in the last pandemic influenza attack. It left no country untouched. And the fun part is we do not know for certainty how it started. One report was that a manure fire of huge magnitude in Fort Riley was ground zero. Another likelyhood was a large camp beside the coast of France where they kept hogs and birds for the hundreds of thousands troops that processed through the area.
    If you were to total the combat deaths of every country, in every war in the past century, it would not come close to the number of deaths caused by this one flu bug.
    So you ignore the flu shots. That will just leave more for the rest of us. I do not know if these reports have any validity, but I do know that no matter what the vaccine, there will be some people react to it. They do not get the bug from the shot, but likely they are allergic to something innoculous.
    And I am willing to bet that if our country did not buy the shots, you would the first to blast the administration for not protecting its people.

Old Texan
    Get a copy of National Geographic from oct or nov, check the cover for story line. An excellent factual article telling what this avian flu is all about, how flu mutates, and previous pandemics.
    As I understand it, the current vacines would be useless as this flu has not yet mutated to a strain transferable to humans. The current cases involved some direct contact or something with birds. It would have to cross into another host species such as swine, then enable itself to enter humans and go human to human. That is when the bad shiat strikes.
    Their discription of the effects are far more serious that the "squirts" and puking. This stuff distroys internal tissue such as lungs.
    Avaccine will have to be formulated at that time to effect the new mutant.

bigq
    You’re missing the point. Tamiflu (not a shot) has been proven to have no effect on the bird flu strain. So why spend the 2 billion?
    As far as the shot goes if people want to use it that is fine it has been noted that it is only something like 16-60% effective, (nice wide gap) if they even get the strain correct, in 2003-2004 there were 135 children that died from the flu, 59 had the shot, this from the CDC, which still promotes the shot. The thought of putting something in mine and my families body that has the potential for neurological damage or worse (like closing the plant that makes the shot for contamination)is something I and you have to think about and make that choice.
    Also I have read that the great 1918 pandemic was in part due to the actual vaccines and that the people that did not get the vaccine were among the people were healthy enough to live through it or did not get it, meaning the vaccine actually made the virus worse in the body.
    Don't get me wrong, I think we need to develop vaccines, but the rush to put out something that is far worse then getting the flu and maybe even kill people is unbelievable to me

Seadog
    There were no real vaccines for the 1918 influenza. Most of the remedies were quackery. The flu attacked the young and healthy with vigor and often left older people alone. The theory was that the flu may have mutated from a strain that hit people mildly a few decades previously and the victims developed a immunity to it.
    If we were hit by a similar episode, we will have little time to develop vaccines in large enough quantities. So immunization of the available strains could protect those at risk if it does hit. You have to remember that the 1918 flu took only a few months to strike the entire world in a period of travel by ship. In today's travel age, it would take no time at all.

Coleitis22
    Read the package insert on every drug produced. Every drug has side effects both positive and negative. Remember when the Congressmans son flew an airplane into the side of a building? He was taking accutane for teenage acne. Think his self esteem was at an all time low? Was the crash blamed on accutane, parenting or the frustration of flying a cessna? Quite possibly the kid was just an idiot trying to make a statement. Tamiflu is made by Roche which is worth billions and possibly more if they merge with Novartis. Someome justs wants a lawsuit and negative press for Roche and Uncle Sam.

Seadog
    From Wikipedia
    Global mortality rate from the influenza was estimated at 2.5%–5% of the population, with some 20% of the world population suffering from the disease to some extent. The disease spread across the world killing twenty-five million in the course of six months; some estimates put the total of those killed worldwide at over twice that number, possibly as high as 100 million. An estimated 17 million died in India alone, with a mortality rate of about 5% of the population. In the Indian Army, almost 22% of troops who caught the disease died of it. About 28% of the population of the U.S. suffered from the disease, and some 500,000–675,000 died from it. Some 200,000 were killed in Britain and more than 400,000 in France. The death rate was especially high in indigenous peoples where some entire villages perished in Alaska and southern Africa. Fourteen percent of the population of the Fiji Islands died in a period of only two weeks while 22% of the population of Western Samoa died. By July of 1919, 257,363 deaths in Japan were attributed to influenza, giving an estimated Japanese mortality rate of 0.425%, much lower than nearly all other Asian countries for which data are available
    On October 5, 2005 researchers announced that the genetic sequence of the 1918 flu strain had been reconstructed using historic tissue samples . The 2005 H5N1 bird flu strain spreading through Asia has some features of the 1918 strain but is so far not able to pass easily from human to human.
    On October 21, 2005 AVI BioPharma Inc. announced that some combinations of antisense drugs appeared to reduce the rate of genetic replication of the 1918 Spanish flu virus in laboratory experiments. This testing most certainly would have occurred at the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases (USAMRIID) or possibly CDC in an enhanced level 3 or level 4 biosafety lab. Additional experiments showed that a single mismatch within the targeted region of the virus caused less than a 10 percent loss of activity of the drug. This raises the possibility that a single antisense drug could potentially shut down multiple virus subtypes, including possibly the H5N1 bird flu, even if a mutation occurred in these highly conserved regions. AVI BioPharma and the USAMRIID have previously announced positive results from testing an antisense compound against the Ebola virus. Other antisense compounds are in clinical tests for Hepatitis C virus (HCV) at the Dept. of Veterans Affairs.

Blown 472
    Yup, although he is not the only one, it interesting though isn't it. I think this kind of panic has happen before with pigs, swin flu or something like that. The Flu vaccine is one of the bigger scams of our time so far. I would not put that crap in my kids.
    Good for you, keep the faith and when they come with manditory testing in skool and tell you your kids need to take this and that tell them to pound sand.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast