Thread: Uh Oh. Something isn't right. 460 Issues

stashtrey
    Okay... I've started a couple threads about my engine recently and it running bad. I bought the Pertronix conversion and installed that today. While I had the back seat out of the boat I noticed something....
    THIS:
    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...3751/head1.jpg
    When attempting to start the engine I noticed a small amount of smoke coming from that hole in the front of the head. I looked at the opposite head and that hole is plugged. I'm not sure if it's plugged or what that particular hole is for but the image above shows that it cracked some how... I'm freaking out here now.
    Please tell me I'm not fubar'd.

ONAROLL
    I dont think the boss behind that hole can go into the combustion chamber unless its cracked deep, I have my alternator support bolt hanging from that hole, could the "smoke" just be some oil heating up as the head gets hot?, I'd just plug it and do a compression test on that cylinder............Vic

stashtrey
    I'm not sure how the oil could even heat up as I can't even get the engine started right now.... see my other thread. lol
    I'm pretty sure I saw puff's of smoke coming from that hole as the engine turned over.....

In an automotive application that used "air injection', that would be the port where air is injected into the exhaust ports from the air pump. You should be able to get a plug for that from a Ford dealer, if it isn't some standard thread. You will want to clean the threads up first.

stashtrey
    THANK GOD.....err.... .Old Squirt and ONAROLL
    Seriously... thanks for easing my mind. I think aside from turning 30 on Wednesday... this boat is adding several years on my life recently.... not to mention pissing my wife off with all of my 'just another $100, honey... that should take care of everything'.

centerhill condor
    welcome to the brotherhood! Have you explained the term "boat widow" aka the other woman? she's expensive and wants all of your time... the boat that is! best of luck on both. :rollside:

Bajajet
    I'm not sure how the oil could even heat up as I can't even get the engine started right now.... see my other thread. lol
    I'm pretty sure I saw puff's of smoke coming from that hole as the engine turned over.....
    It is a drive in plug like a soft plug. Clean out the hole and drive a new one in. No big deal and a $2 fix. Done it before.

LakesOnly
    Okay...I had the back seat out of the boat I noticed something....
    THIS:
    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...3751/head1.jpg
    When attempting to start the engine I noticed a small amount of smoke coming from that hole in the front of the head.
    Please tell me I'm not fubar'd.
    The hole is a factory drilled passage for the smog pump on passenger cars. Smaller passages "T" into it at each exhaust port and this larger passage shoots cold air into the exhaust port in an attempt to burn the unburned fuel...for emmissions reasons.
    This hole is normally plugged for your marine application (no smog pump), and the plug that is pressed into that location on your head has simply burned through.
    Go to Napa Auto Parts and get the following 43/64" plug:
    Clevite Part # 219-2188
    Carefully remove the old burned plug and tap in the new one.
    Problem solved,
    LO