Thread: Jet boat engine temperature?

twitchy
    I just bought a 1974 Hondo. 18'. It has a chevy 454 in it and runs nicson water cooled headers. It's my first jet boat so I'm not sure what the engine temperature should be? A hose comes up out of the jet and runs into the front of the motor through a valve that seems to control the engine temperature depending on how much you turn it in or out. Seems like it adjusts the flow. The colder the water the less flow you need? Anyways, I'm running it at utah lake. water temperature is about 55 degrees. Air temperature is approx 75 degrees. Also, does the water after it has run through the motor shoot out the headers? It looks like a small line returns to the back of the boat and runs out next to the bilge hole. It drizzles hot water when the boat is running. Any help?

raisinL
    I guess like any engine you would'nt wanna run it over 200 degrees 220 is the boiling point.

502 JET
    Most jets run around 140*to 160*.If you are close to that range you are ok.Try a search (on the top right of the page) On water pressure or engine temp and you will find a bunch of threads on this subject.

Boatcop
    The valve is more to control the pressure of the water entering the engine, than it is to regulate flow for cooling.
    Too high of a water pressure can overcome the head and/or intake gaskets, and push water into the oil, creating the all too common Chocolate Milk Shake.

SmokinLowriderSS
    the all too common Chocolate Milk Shake.
    Good from the corner ice cream parlor, bad from your oil pan. :yuk: :yuk: