Thread: who is using beehive valve springs?

ECeptor
    Anyone?
    Everything I've read about the Comp Cams beehives has been very positive and they look to be the hot ticket for 6,000rpm and below engines.
    High rpm race engines are a different story.

Brian
    I just put them in my new combo based on a recommendation from my machine shop/engine builder (Larry Peto). Hopefully they will work out well.

Beer-30
    Anyone?
    Everything I've read about the Comp Cams beehives has been very positive and they look to be the hot ticket for 6,000rpm and below engines.
    High rpm race engines are a different story.
    I was going to check with my local engine builder on finding ones for 496s. I am curious how much a set will be. Whenever I make time, I will have him look them up. I think it would be a nice addition to stock motors, since the springs are one of the weak points.

Floored
    We actually had some just like that on our 67 camaro back in 1973. Sb 350 and they worked quite well for us. We also learned that aluminum retainers on the street aren't the hot ticket. Its kinda funny how everything old is new again.

MESA BALANCING
    We build many Pro Import turbo engines such as the Toyota 2j for many of the fastest guys in the country even with Toyota sponsorship and I used them for many years with no problem just make sure you use the right spec spring for your combo if we can make 1700hp from a 6 cyl Toyo with no failures I know they'll work for you by the way we turn them 9800 through the traps. Sincerely Laz

Raylar
    We use a conical -ovate wire valve spring on the Raylar BigPower head. They are made for us by Eibach Spring to our spec. We have found that these springs are capable of giving 135-150lbs closed and about 425lbs open at .650 which is increduble for a single spring. the real advantage to these springs is they eliminate valve spring harmonics at higher rpms due to a variable lift rate and they also do not develop heat like dual and triple springs do because you are not rubbing two pieces of metal together at high rpms. This heat buildup and de-tempering of the valve spring metal is what kills other springs in 200 hours or so. Comp makes a good conical ovate spring and some other spring manufactureres such as Petterson are using the technology now. Gm has also been using concial springs on the LS1 - LS6 engines for quite some time now as well as other new motors now released.
    Regards,
    Ray @ Raylar

ECeptor
    Thanks for the replies. It seems the only downside is the slight increase in cost...but that's just the up front not the long term.
    Along those lines, if the benchmark springs should be replaced at 200hrs, how long will the Beehives (conical-ovate ) last?

Beer-30
    Thanks for the replies. It seems the only downside is the slight increase in cost...but that's just the up front not the long term.
    Along those lines, if the benchmark springs should be replaced at 200hrs, how long will the Beehives (conical-ovate ) last?
    Of course, that will depend on usage. If you have 250lbs of seat pressure, and run 6500 rpm consistantly, you will change them often. 150lbs and 5000 rpm you would hardly ever change them.

ECeptor
    Of course, that will depend on usage. If you have 250lbs of seat pressure, and run 6500 rpm consistantly, you will change them often. 150lbs and 5000 rpm you would hardly ever change them.
    I'm thinking this cam (Crane p/n 134561 236°/246° @ 0.050" duration and 0.553/.571" lift) running mostly from 3,500-5,000rpm with the occasional blast up to 6,000rpm. Spring rate enough to close a 2.25" intake valve at 6,000rpm.