Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: excursion lift

sigepmock
    Still toying with the idea of lifting my Excursion. Not told sold on it yet though. We're going to be keeping this ride for a while and I need it to last. Have heard that lifting and the wider wheels/tires wears things out pretty bad. Soooo I'm considering just putting some nicer wheels and a tire that is bigger but will fit, like a Nitto Grappler or something.
    Thoughts?
    This is my third lifted truck and I will probably always own a lifted truck. The benefits of the added ground clearance, added grip with the larger tires, and better all around performance outway the small negatives.
    Yes you will see increased wear and tear on parts of the vehicle but with proper/regular maintence I've never had an issue. The decision is up to you but if you buy a good lift kit with good tires and rims, maintain the vehicle regulary, and understand the truck is still not an off-road race vehicle so don't abuse it, you should have no problems.
    I use my truck on and off-road, for towing the boat, and the toy hauler and again the added benefits far outweigh the negatives.
    Just my $.02,
    Chris
    PS Just a side note....I've never had a flat in the 8 years since I've been running lifted trucks with larger tires.

cc322
    Still toying with the idea of lifting my Excursion. Not told sold on it yet though. We're going to be keeping this ride for a while and I need it to last. Have heard that lifting and the wider wheels/tires wears things out pretty bad. Soooo I'm considering just putting some nicer wheels and a tire that is bigger but will fit, like a Nitto Grappler or something.
    Thoughts?
    If you just do the tires and wheels right now and you dont do at least a mild lift you will eventually say I should have done the lift, just gives it a way better look all around, nothing too big 4.5 Donahoe is great on that rig here are some good sites to read up on.
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/
    http://www.superdutyheadquarters.com/sdpg29.htm

dm25advantage
    jason, stop being a puss and cancel your order with the 4.5 lift and go with the 8' like i did. go big or go home.

Partycattin
    jason, stop being a puss and cancel your order with the 4.5 lift and go with the 8' like i did. go big or go home.
    Ok, pulled the trigger. Eagle alloy 114's 17x10 and the 4.5 drop hanger system from Donahoe. All ordered yesterday.
    DM25Advantage: free up a Saturday for the lifting party at Whit's!

dm25advantage
    jason, i have sunday off and kat gone too. can we have the party on sun

Partycattin
    jason, i have sunday off and kat gone too. can we have the party on sun
    Hopefully everything comes in by Saturday. We'll send the ladies x-mas shopping and get to lifting the X.

cc322
    Ok, pulled the trigger. Eagle alloy 114's 17x10 and the 4.5 drop hanger system from Donahoe. All ordered yesterday.
    DM25Advantage: free up a Saturday for the lifting party at Whit's!
    I think you made a very wise choice, you will love that kit. Perfect amount of lift IMO. Take some pics and post when its all done

Partycattin
    I think you made a very wise choice, you will love that kit. Perfect amount of lift IMO. Take some pics and post when its all done
    Put the lift on last night. Overall, a pretty easy install. About 4 hours with a couple of us working on it.
    I think the rear may need another inch or so of lift. We'll see how it looks once I get the wheels/tires on.
    The rear had 2" blocks stock which were replaced with 5" blocks. A net lift of 3" for the rear and 4 1/2 in the front. This may level out the pickups but has seemed to give the Excursion a bit of sag in the back.
    I'll post pics as soon as it's all done.

cc322
    Congrats........should look real good. imo try to get the back level with no sag maybe even a little higher. We will be waiting for pics

Partycattin
    Ok, got the wheels and tires on last night.
    Here is a pic.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast