Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: impeller question

anger management
    I have a ss impeller with the 4 grooves machined into the wear ring surface
    (water seal) wear ring clearance is .013 per side . when I ran the boat for the first time last weak I had a rubbing type noise that appeared to be coming from the pump noticeable at idle the noise stopped right off idle .I dissassembled the pump ,the only thing that appears different in the wear ring looks and feels like its kinda taking on the shape of the impeller wear ring surface.my question, is this A normal thing with this type of water seal surface

jamessampica
    No problem run it.Make sure the impellor{SP} nut is tight and run it.
    JIM S

Wicked Performance Boats
    No problem run it.Make sure the impellor{SP} nut is tight and run it.
    JIM S
    I second that! Go for it. BL

I wondered the same thing a while back, turned out it was the drive line making the noise, Like sampica said, run it!

anger management
    my concern was I.D ing the source of the noise and if this could be it.The noise was also kinda load and could be felt threw the hull vibrating but only at low idle rpm.The driveline idea is possible i guess, this is a hole knew hull+pump set up for me.I did o.h+replace everything related to the jet along the wayhttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2309Picture_228-med.jpghttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2309Picture_227-med.jpg

Duane HTP
    Raise your idle up to 1100 or 1200 RPM. (with pump in the water, of course). If noise goes away, not to worry. It's drive line noise. Make sure your driveline to yoke splines are greased good.

anger management
    Raise your idle up to 1100 or 1200 RPM. (with pump in the water, of course). If noise goes away, not to worry. It's drive line noise. Make sure your driveline to yoke splines are greased good.
    Thank you when I raise the idle it does go away.A separate problem with what I suspect to be the one of the msd boxes keeps changing the idle speed+performance randomly gaining+loosing 5-7 hundred RPM=A separate bug to work out. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...re_247-med.jpg

steelcomp
    AM...nice looking ride. If this rpm issue is happening at that 1100-1200 range, and if you're running advance, check and make sure your advance weights are working smoothly. That might be where they are starting to move, and sticking a little.

anger management
    AM...nice looking ride. If this rpm issue is happening at that 1100-1200 range, and if you're running advance, check and make sure your advance weights are working smoothly. That might be where they are starting to move, and sticking a little.
    The onset of the rpm/performance problem was with the same engine set up in my other boat.I ran it one last time on fathers day at cfw and felt the same thing happening.I suspected the advacne mechanism and it did appear a bit sticky,I lubed and worked it free,thank you that is exactly what it feels like , a sudden surge of timing.BTW the pictures make it look nicer than it is, its a work in progress.

Duane HTP
    That sounds a lot like a small vacuum leak some where. Check it out. Might be around manifold or carb base gaskets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast