Thread: retarding box

blownrat
    is anyone using a retarding box, melting piston, cant do a intercooler right now so was thinking the msd retarder will help thanks for any help 2nd motor in 2years cant do it again.

Robbie Racer
    I'm using the MSD retard box to automatically retard the motor when I activate the nitrous system. It seems to do the job. That system uses different degree "chips" to set the amount of retard you want. I have seen an adjustable timing control also where you can adjust the timing on the fly from the drivers seat but I haven't tried that one. I know some motor builders that don't recommend that system for fear of inadvertantly dialing in too much advance and hurting the motor.

Fiat48
    You might consider putting a pyrometer on the cylinder you have been melting pistons. Retarding timing builds exhaust temperature. Just a thought.

blowngas
    MSD makes a retard that can be biased by the blower pressure to keep out of a detonation situation----I think I would take a good look at the fuel delivery system on a melted piston!!!-----sounds like a cylinder leaned out for whatever reason----check fuel filters, carb jets, and pressure regulators----I have seen more pressure regulator failures give problems than anything else----a good fuel log setup with pressure dump back to the tank is best insurance against a lean out situation with carbs

blownrat
    thanks guys, i also found springs that had went soft, so hamming tops of two pistons, more stuff to worry about. well good :cry: :cry: now new block