Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: jet as a step?!

TheBigUgly
    i was thinking swim steps but would much rather spend money on something else... thought that using the jet as a step would be bad but saw some people suggesting it. Good? bad? where to step where not to step? its a berkley something on a 70 marlin, no one ways more than 2 bills, and im new so point me to a diagram so i know what youre talking about... thanks guys.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Don't step anywhere slippery. That cast aluminum is pretty unforgiving if you fall and land on it. No way you're ever gonna break it off. Not with the ammount of force that pump puts on the boat pushing it arround or it would loosen itself up.

centerhill condor
    spend the money.... a swim step is a must as far as I'm concerned... women use a swim step as a porta pottie... and you don't have to worry about slipping on a round surface or straddling it at high speeds when you fall... just something to think about... a swim step is much less expensive than a couple of hours in the emergency room!

dirtman
    I suggest NOT using the jet as a step. A young lady that was with us a couple seasons ago used it to get on the back of the boat, slipped and tore a chunk of skin the size of a silver dollar off her shin on the ride plate. Then you're the bad guy because you won't let her in the boat 'cause she's bleeding! :argue:

dirtman
    Just kidding about not letting her in the boat....I'm not THAT big an assh*le!!!

GUGS102
    The taylors have a shield that doubles as a pump cover. But the cables are all mounted low.
    I have the steps as love them between them and the bimini, very comfortable to use on hot days. I like to sit on them while we float. You also have less of a chance of a vest or jewlery scratching the boat when someone is climbing in.
    Gugs

i personally use a 4 step ladder that goes over the side of the boat...it has rubber hooks & rubber feet for the side of the boat...i "hate" swim steps...they look ugly...also...no person ever grabs the headers for a handle by mistake!!!
    fastrat

Wet Dream
    Use it if you'd like. You aren't going to hurt it. If slipping is an issue, I'm sure someone can get creative with grip tape. Personally, I wear the water shoes, and they grip on a polished bowl pretty well.

TheBigUgly
    thanks all... never thought about the grip tape...

skelly
    I have had a large friend step on my jet to get into the boat and the reverse nozzle got jammed. 15 minutes, a snorkel and a pry bar prevented a long trip back to the launch ramp.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast