Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sub enclosure sealing, what do you guys use

Sweet Addiction
    Ok, I have been doing the tool shopping and what not to begin my speaker build up. I was looking at my back seat, It just screws out and then I can build my sub woofer box under the seat. While I was thinking of this, I was wondering, What do you guys use to seal any boxes that my in a vornuable spot for water damage. I was thinking just a glaze of resin, but figured you guys might have some other type of trick.

riverbound
    Ok, I have been doing the tool shopping and what not to begin my speaker build up. I was looking at my back seat, It just screws out and then I can build my sub woofer box under the seat. While I was thinking of this, I was wondering, What do you guys use to seal any boxes that my in a vornuable spot for water damage. I was thinking just a glaze of resin, but figured you guys might have some other type of trick.
    If you are using regular MDF then a couple coats of resin will do the trick. There is also water proof MDF available. But I would still throw a coat of resin on just for safe measure.

rivercrazy
    If your plan is to use MDF I'd highly recommend you reconsider. Use 3/4" marine plywood. And resin all surfaces. MDF won't last in a marine environment and has a small fraction of the strength needed for your rear seat pedestal.
    IMHO of course!
    P.S. And don't worry about any SPL or SQ difference. You won't notice any difference between the two

Sweet Addiction
    If your plan is to use MDF I'd highly recommend you reconsider. Use 3/4" marine plywood. And resin all surfaces. MDF won't last in a marine environment and has a small fraction of the strength needed for your rear seat pedestal.
    IMHO of course!
    P.S. And don't worry about any SPL or SQ difference. You won't notice any difference between the two
    I would like to build my boxes with marine plywood, but its freakin hard to find around here, and I have MDF running out of my ears. I will do some shopping and see what I can come up with. I can be creative some times.

RiverDave
    IMHO of course!
    Let me start by saying I know exactly dick with regards to installs and some of the stuff regularly discussed on these boards.. I gotta go with RiverCrazy on this one though. I don't see MDF holding up (as a seat pedestal) in a marine enviroment over time. I'd use something else, and then line it with a dense material. I.E. Marine plywood, and then line the inside of it with dynamat or something?
    RD

djunkie
    Let me start by saying I know exactly dick with regards to installs and some of the stuff regularly discussed on these boards.. I gotta go with RiverCrazy on this one though. I don't see MDF holding up (as a seat pedestal) in a marine enviroment over time. I'd use something else, and then line it with a dense material. I.E. Marine plywood, and then line the inside of it with dynamat or something?
    RD
    Your right, you don't know dick. J/K Whats up Dave?

rivercrazy
    RD
    Or up the blink factor and do what RiverDave did. Have custom fiberglass enclosures built to your spec's. Dynamat is also a good idea. If your enclosure is sealed get some speaker insulating packing. It will deaden the box a bit.

Sweet Addiction
    Or up the blink factor and do what RiverDave did. Have custom fiberglass enclosures built to your spec's. Dynamat is also a good idea. If your enclosure is sealed get some speaker insulating packing. It will deaden the box a bit.
    Ok, thats new terminology to me. If I go the route of a enclosed box why do you want to pu insulating packing in it? I built a box in my last boat out of plywood and sealed it with resin and it was bad ass.

rivercrazy
    Ok, thats new terminology to me. If I go the route of a enclosed box why do you want to pu insulating packing in it? I built a box in my last boat out of plywood and sealed it with resin and it was bad ass.
    the insulation absorbs heat produced by the subs voice coils keeping the box at a more consistent temp. Keeps the temps more consistent resulting in more consistent SQ. Some guys say it helps reduce standing waves but that is more theoritical than practical.

sammtron
    i used mdf and then epoxed the boxs they hold great.and i use starboard for feet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast