Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Block Chevy Question

Bow Tie Omega
    Hey all. I have a little wager going on at work. Anyone with info for or against is appreciated. Very simply, are all small blocks to 1986 the same block? I know that there are different bores and main bearing sizes, but is the block the same. I say you can. All aftermarket parts bolt to both. Help is appreciated

canuck1
    No, 81 to 85 have the dip stick on the other side so the pans are different

Hotcrusader76
    Bow Tie Omega:
    Hey all. I have a little wager going on at work. Anyone with info for or against is appreciated. Very simply, are all small blocks to 1986 the same block? I know that there are different bores and main bearing sizes, but is the block the same. I say you can. All aftermarket parts bolt to both. Help is appreciatedKey word "All Smallblocks"
    Correct me if I am wrong (and I am sure someone will ? but the 400SB was different than the 350, no? Had something to do with the coolant holes between the cylinders, no?

SuperWrench0166
    the basic block casting was the same from start till 1998 with teh excepting of stuff like the dipstick some accesorie holes some disapeared some appeared in diff locations you have smaller main journal size before 1967 the 400's most had one less core plug perside and of course the afore mentioned steam holes other then that most all 1970 and up to 1999 350 small blocks besides the dipstick location where basically teh same exact block with teh exception they went to one piece rear main seal around 1987 they did little changes here and there but you could easily take a 1998 engine and bolt it in anything previous
    its more difficult trying to take an older block and put in a later model thats where the differences really show up

waterbum
    We weighed an 88' 350 2-bolt bare block and a older style 350 2-bolt bare block,the newer block was 30lbs lighter.No wonder the 88' cracked on me.Oh ya and a small block chev is a small block chev,all basically the same with some small changes like the dipstick and one piece rear seal.You can still pull out an old one and swap it for a new one or visa versa or interchange parts all of which I have done. smilespi Bum

mister460
    85' and on used a significantly lighter casting as previously mentioned. The 400 sb also had siamesed cylinders to accomadate the 4.125" bore and had different size main journals. You can tell a light casting for the heads because they have a scalloped outer edge. Those heads bite. There were also 4 bolt mains and two bolts (I know, duh). Different alloys were used throughout the years, too. The "steam" holes were put in 400's to solve a problem that never existed. And just for general knowledge, you can shave about 40-50 lbs off of a small block without comprimising strength. G'head and chew on that stuff.

HOSS
    Ah yeah and all that stuff.
    The steam holes were put in to fix an overheating problem that existed and still does today. Hot Pockets were very common with 400`s as so led to the end of their existence. This is why the 383 became popular. More cubes with less problems and all the aftermarket shit you could want for the 350. I beleive they were in production for 2 years only (400 ci).
    Always loved the 350. Put a set of 283 power pack heads on one, wanna talk detonation! But I ran a many in the ground. High school and college were fun. Then graduated and realized that spending all my time under the hood SUCKED. Went with Ford and never looked back. 460 power is really nice and reliable. And I don`t have a front seal seep either!
    Gotta love those bench racers! They never learn!

IBEDAM4
    Not that anyone would run one in a boat....lets not forget that the original SBC, the 265cid,
    had no oil filter. I was an option that year.It bolted down under the thermostant housing.

HOSS
    I did not realize that. Oil filter option? Cars have come a long way.

Rayhill
    One piece real seal = different flywheel = different starter = different drive coupler ???
    Correct me if that is wrong!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast