Thread: I promise this is the last time I ask!

nuboater
    Here it is again...
    Should I pull out my 7.4 mpi and swap for a 502 efi or put on a whipple / procharger?
    If I decide to go with a whipple / pro charger what needs to be done to my motor?
    I can p/up a decent 502 for 5k, but would have to pay someone to pull the 7.4 and install the 502..How much does that cost?
    What are the advantages/disadvantages?

faster
    nuboater:
    Here it is again...
    Should I pull out my 7.4 mpi and swap for a 502 efi or put on a whipple / procharger?
    If I decide to go with a whipple / pro charger what needs to be done to my motor?
    I can p/up a decent 502 for 5k, but would have to pay someone to pull the 7.4 and install the 502..How much does that cost?
    What are the advantages/disadvantages?Get rid of the 7.4 and buy the 502 and put a whipple or procharger on it. You see if you buy the whipple and put it on the 7.4 you are going to have spent the money anyway cause the 7.4 will have to be replaced very shortly after installation.

LeadFootTheRabbit
    nuboater, what are you trying to accomplish here? You already have a 454 and you want to spend $5000 for a 502 and then spend more $$$ to put a huffer on it. I think its time to be smart here. Figure out what you want the motor to do. Do your homework, talk to those who build engines. Post up here on ***boat for references of good engine shops. Build your 7.4 accordingly. 502's are good engines but don't get caught up in the hipe that its a cure all. Remember, bolting on a blower is kinda like pouring liquid horsepower in the fuel tank.
    If you gotta have that 502, then hit it with your purse!
    LDFTRBT

Hotcrusader76
    LeadFootTheRabbit:
    nuboater, what are you trying to accomplish here? You already have a 454 and you want to spend $5000 for a 502 and then spend more $$$ to put a huffer on it. I think its time to be smart here. Figure out what you want the motor to do. Do your homework, talk to those who build engines. Post up here on ***boat for references of good engine shops. Build your 7.4 accordingly. 502's are good engines but don't get caught up in the hipe that its a cure all. Remember, bolting on a blower is kinda like pouring liquid horsepower in the fuel tank.
    If you gotta have that 502, then hit it with your purse!
    LDFTRBTDiddo! If you have the cash to throw around, then quickly run to the bank and deposit it, before its gone.
    Just calm down and realize its coming to the end of the season and you have all winter to get your boat ready.
    Just as the cool cat above me mentioned. Get a game plan. Horsepower, intended use, what you want the motor to do and for how long. I disagree with the 502 swap. You can put some good money into both engines and they could both easily keep a smile on your face.
    Hell if you just want to spend the money then give me a call because I have the most perfect 6.9L Diesel you could drop in there...LOL>..(inside joke, sorry) LOL
    Seariously bro take this post to heart and sit down with an engine builder. Ed Hale here in El Cajon is awesome and has done many boaters good.
    -Ty

chaparral2350sx
    Hey Ty
    Do not try to pon off the ford he wants a motor that runs without blowing headgaskets. Should a bought a Chevy.
    T

Hotcrusader76
    chaparral2350sx:
    Hey Ty
    Do not try to pon off the ford he wants a motor that runs without blowing headgaskets. Should a bought a Chevy.
    TDamm. Trying to rain on my parade here...LOL
    Operation Head Gasket is still a go! Awaiting for Tuesday morning to arrive so I can order the ARP bolts, thanks to Mike and Bob at Rex Marine.
    So who is all coming down to SD to help me??? Case of beer (after the job) and pizza.