Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Trailer Brake Controller

Todd969
    I have no clue what makes one better than another. Any insights?
    I'll be pulling a 8.5x16 tandem with 4 wheel brakes. Approx 4Klbs loaded total weight.
    Thanks

Sleek-Jet
    I've put Tekonsha (sp?) Voyagers in everything that requires a brake controller, never had any problems.
    I've got one old pickup with an old hydraulically slaved brake controller (it's tied into the brake line), and the all electric ones seem to do just as good a job.
    What are you towing with???

Hustler
    I dont see a need a for a brake controller with that trailer. I would think it would come with surge brakes?

1stepcloser
    Prodigy (http://www.tekonsha.com/prodig.html) by Tekonsha.
    I use this to tow a 6000# travel trailer.
    Very smooth braking. Nicest I have used, easy to install, and reasonable.

Todd969
    I dont see a need a for a brake controller with that trailer. I would think it would come with surge brakes?
    I would agree, but you never know when it might be needed.
    I have an 06 F-250 with the tow command system ( controller built in ) but I also have an 04 Excursion and want to use both. The trailer is an H&H tandem with 4 wheel electric brakes and 3800lb axles which means I should be able to safely tow 6K. Of course when there is only 3 or 4 quads and a golf cart on it brakes may not be a concern. Always need to be prepared though.

PHOTOGLOU
    I use the " Activator II" it has a digital readout of the pressure being applied ( it is adjustable as all of them are) and a gain switch so you can have the brakes react slower or quicker on the trailer....

rrrr
    Prodigy (http://www.tekonsha.com/prodig.html) by Tekonsha.
    I use this to tow a 6000# travel trailer.
    Very smooth braking. Nicest I have used, easy to install, and reasonable.
    Just installed one of these in my '04 Excursion. The Ford half of the harness was in the glovebox in a plastic bag, just had to splice four controller wires to it and plug it in.

Hustler
    I would agree, but you never know when it might be needed.
    I have an 06 F-250 with the tow command system ( controller built in ) but I also have an 04 Excursion and want to use both. The trailer is an H&H tandem with 4 wheel electric brakes and 3800lb axles which means I should be able to safely tow 6K. Of course when there is only 3 or 4 quads and a golf cart on it brakes may not be a concern. Always need to be prepared though.
    Gotcha. I use a Prodigy and have for a few years with no troubles. It's very user friendly.

Captain Dan
    A better question might be, is there a difference?
    I have used at least three different brands of controllers, Tekonsha, Trail Rite, etc. and have no problems with any of them. They all have the same adjustments and all have worked just fine - has anyone had a controller out there that didn't perform?

msc5195
    I highly recommend getting a controller. Towing that weight is not a problem but it puts a strain on your braking system when stopping. Which ever controller you get make sure that it has a sensitivity adjustment most do but some do not. Rule of thumb is that you want the trailer brakes to slightly tug on the tow vehicle when applied. This tugging will vary due to different weights therefore you need to be able to adjust the sensitivity. My controller is a Draw Tite brand with a sliding sensitivity adjustment on the front which makes it easy to adjust as needed on the fly. My controller also has a manual emergency brake button.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast