Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 496 mag

496mag
    I recently purchased a new boat with a 496 mag. At approx. 3.5 hours the serpentine belt broke. Brought the boat to Mercury Marine rep. & a new belt was installed. At approx. 8 hours the belt was thrown off the pulleys. Brought the boat to Mercury Marine rep. again & they found that one of the pulleys was out of alignment 1/8 of an inch. With approx. 28 hours the belt was thrown again. It is currently at the Mercury Marine rep.shop again,third time.
    Does anybody know of any simuliar problems with the 496 mag ?

FIREMAN
    I had the same problem at about 20hrs. Sy from Commander sent a driver to Vegas to pick the boat up and fix it and offered to do the 20 hr service for the trouble. 5 day service driveway to driveway. The pulley was out of alignment by 1/8 of an inch. Running strong ever since and haulin the mail. I have the Mag HO
    Dusty
    [This message has been edited by FIREMAN (edited July 09, 2001).]

ULTRA28
    Now thats what I call service. Sy is a great guy and it goes to show you how much he cares about keeping his customers happy.

sea buddy
    Have been on two that have belt whine and another had a bad fuel pump.

jet496
    I have over 70 hours on my new Ultra 21 Stealth with a 496 HO. No problems yet. Runs like a champ.

FIREMAN
    Up to 36hrs and Still running like a champ.
    Glad as hell that I got the mag HO too.
    It hauls the mail...

Maelstrom 23
    FIREMAN:
    Which pulley was out of alignment ?
    There are a few on front of the engine !
    Did you notice any black dust from the belt before it broke ?
    Part of the hatch and engine on my boat is covered with black dust (not much but makes me wonder) from the belt, warning sign of bad times coming ?
    SEA BUDDY:
    Did the belt whine occur at low or high rpm ?
    I have some strange whining noise at 2-2500 rpm on my 496HO, could that be the belt ?
    Other than that it's a great engine, mine just broken in with 10hrs.

496mag
    Originally posted by Maelstrom 23:
    FIREMAN:
    Which pulley was out of alignment ?
    There are a few on front of the engine !
    Did you notice any black dust from the belt before it broke ?
    Part of the hatch and engine on my boat is covered with black dust (not much but makes me wonder) from the belt, warning sign of bad times coming ?
    SEA BUDDY:
    Did the belt whine occur at low or high rpm ?
    I have some strange whining noise at 2-2500 rpm on my 496HO, could that be the belt ?
    Other than that it's a great engine, mine just broken in with 10hrs.
    Idler pulley was out of alignment on my motor (496mag) . Did not notice any black dust, belt broke with 3.5 hrs.. Third time at Mercury Marine rep., they replaced alternator & bracket assembly, said it was out of alignment. Will be taking it to Havasu this weekend to see if it works.
    [This message has been edited by 496mag (edited July 25, 2001).]
    [This message has been edited by 496mag (edited July 25, 2001).]

FIREMAN
    I believe it was the idle pulley. It's the only one that is plastic. The rest are aluminum or steel. It's a recall that is supposed to be taken care of before you take ownership. But there is a shortage of the little things as every engine needs one. No big deal to fix and by now it shouldn't take long to get one as it was 2 months ago when they noticed. I did notice that the side closest to the front of the hatch of that belt in question was shaved down a bit, probably from being out of alignment. I got my rocket back 20 hrs ago, have been runnin it hard and no furthers problems. Infact I stand by the 496 mag HO. It hauls the mail...
    [This message has been edited by FIREMAN (edited July 26, 2001).]

sea buddy
    Fuel pump was the whine, then a intermittent falling back to idle or 2,000 rpm's, then it quit. About 4 engine hours from 1 st to last.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast