Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on my engine performance

Statue
    I took my 21' Charger daycruiser out Saturday to Diamond valley and here's how it ran.
    I had 4 people all between 230lbs and 280lbs and 40 gallons of fuel. The engine is a mild 460, D3VE heads, RV cam, edelbrock streetmaster intake and 750 carb.
    The pump is a fresh berkeley with a double A impeller. It ran 44.5 on GPS and would only turn 3800rpm. Wrong impeller choice or just not enough horsepower?
    Thanks, Wes

DelawareDave
    more horsepower or lighter passengers. Not that I have any room to talk.

I thought Diamond Valley was a no contact, 5mph lake?

Statue
    It's a no contact lake with a 25mph "posted" limit at the gate. Bass boats run 65mph+ on that lake all day with no hassles. The no body contact is a bummer, but the lake sure beats anything else that we have within 45 minutes of Riverside.

502 JET
    I took my 21' Charger daycruiser out Saturday to Diamond valley and here's how it ran.
    I had 4 people all between 230lbs and 280lbs and 40 gallons of fuel. The engine is a mild 460, D3VE heads, RV cam, edelbrock streetmaster intake and 750 carb.
    The pump is a fresh berkeley with a double A impeller. It ran 44.5 on GPS and would only turn 3800rpm. Wrong impeller choice or just not enough horsepower?
    Thanks, Wes
    More power!The weight has no factor on the engines ability to turn the pump.

TIMINATOR
    The heads are the undesireable smog heads, a car rv cam is smaller than the stock jetboat cam and the streetmaster intake is a 70s bandaid. SORRY Get a performer rpm or rpm airgap intake, port the heads or replace them with a better head and port those and add larger valves. Cam; call me with the rest of your combo and I'll recomend one. Also, if the cam was not degreed in and you have a stock timing chain setup, the cam will come in at 8 to 12 degrees retarded, this kills the midrange torque. Call and we'll go over it. Also; rpm in a jet is independant of load of passengers, the rpm is a function of impeller size and HP. There are other factors, but unimportant in your case. TIMINATOR

canuck1
    Thanks, Wes
    Heavy boat, heavy load and no power......Call Timminator or Lakes Only to get that overweight tub running

CARLSON-JET
    I just wanted to say 45mph @3800 rpm is pretty good speed for that much weight at such a low rpm. Before you do any work, I would make a run without all the weight and see what you come up with as to have another good baseline speed. I also agree with the checking out where your cam timing is and cam specs ect. You might just get alot more without doing 500-1k in head work or replacement. As bad as the heads might be considered, a good cam might help prop up the poor flowing heads enough to get you close to where you want to be. Just remember it takes longer usually to get things done at the machine shop durring this time of year. Being on the water might be more important. R.B.

Konabud
    I have a heavy 21' daycruiser with a stock 460 and turn 4800 all day with an A impeller on a Berk JE pump. More RPM? I think you should be looking at your impeller, this should also get you out of the hole better. More speed? More power.

CARLSON-JET
    What are your speeds Konabud?
    At 3 bucks a gallon for gas, 3800 rpms at 45mph sounds good.
    Statue what are you looking for as far as perfomance/speed ? R.B.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast