Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Valves and Port work

Hotcrusader76
    So what is the popular valve brand of choice now. Who is running what and from who?
    Also with the 049 heads, what sort of port work has been performed to their heads, and was it worth the extra cash? and why?
    I am considering some extensive port work for my NOS destined motor, and I plan to free up some space in the exhaust area. I am using a reputable head guy for this job and I am confident that the work will be flawless.
    Let's here it!

Bahner tunnel
    An Inconel exhaust valve is almost mandatory on a high performance boat motor due to the constant high exhaust heat generated, even more so with nitrous in it's future. "Manley" valves are always a sound choice. As for the porting,I've heard that it takes something like 15-17 h.p. for every 1 mph in a jet boat. The porting will add maybe 30 h.p. and roughly 2 mph. The nitrous on the other hand will add 100-300hp. for the about the same price of port job ,you will gain alot of mph. Maybe do a little of both, have him clean up the "bowls" and put in the next bigger n.o.s. jets.
    [ September 10, 2002, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Bahner tunnel ]

Hotcrusader76
    Wow...Almost $35.00 each per Exh.Valve...but then again a NOS motor isn't a cheap investment....But thanks for the "411".
    I thought about upgrading the exhaust valves since the NOS is going to up the temps a little...LOL....
    Thanks bro!

565edge
    Hotcrusader76:
    Wow...Almost $35.00 each per Exh.Valve...but then again a NOS motor isn't a cheap investment....But thanks for the "411".
    I thought about upgrading the exhaust valves since the NOS is going to up the temps a little...LOL....
    Thanks bro!Had a question for you?i have 2 carb shop 1150 dominators and when i turn my fuel pump off my rear boosters on each carb leak and fill my cylinders with gas,what would cause this?the carbs sit sideways,and it is a boosters from both pri and sec,would my float level being to high cause this?it is the side of the carb that is at the lowest point because of angle of motor.

Hotcrusader76
    565edge:
    Hotcrusader76:
    Thanks bro!Had a question for you?i have 2 carb shop 1150 dominators and when i turn my fuel pump off my rear boosters on each carb leak and fill my cylinders with gas,what would cause this?the carbs sit sideways,and it is a boosters from both pri and sec,would my float level being to high cause this?it is the side of the carb that is at the lowest point because of angle of motor.Two things that are evident! Floats are two high and the boosters look like they might not be sealed correctly...
    Look at that first!

KC
    As I have read information regarding valves... the articles indicate that the intake valve REALLY needs to be Inconel, because it actually deforms from the constant heat.
    KC

565edge
    how do the boosters seal?

Dennis Moore
    To Hoy Crusader 76

Dennis Moore
    To Hotcrusader 76
    I think I would start by changing the needle and seats on the carbs. If you still have a problem you may have to go to the next size smaller needle and seats. Twin dominators means four large float bowls. I am sure that your engine would work fine (flow enough fuel) with smaller needle and seats.
    Sincerely
    Dennis Moore

Hotcrusader76
    Dennis Moore:
    To Hotcrusader 76
    I think I would start by changing the needle and seats on the carbs. If you still have a problem you may have to go to the next size smaller needle and seats. Twin dominators means four large float bowls. I am sure that your engine would work fine (flow enough fuel) with smaller needle and seats.
    Sincerely
    Dennis MooreHis fuel pump was turned off (not energized). This wouldn't be a needle and seat issue unless it was coming out the top of the bowls (external). If his bowls were over-flowing when energized then yes, this would be an issue because the float wouldn't be doing it's job or at least not getting the job done with the valve/s.
    Second... .110 Viton Needles are good to flow up to 600HP and then you need to switch to .120 Viton, unless you run Alcohol then its a totally different ball game.
    Note- Dominator fuel bowls and 4150 (center hung float bowls) are the same volume size, unless you go with the PCI units or Braswells one off's from PCI.
    That's it in a nutshell...
    [ September 11, 2002, 05:28 AM: Message edited by: Hotcrusader76 ]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast