Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Worlds Fastest Jet boat...

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    As of January 15, 1967.
    http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysga...20II%20014.jpg
    You guys have come a long way!

Jerry, I thought for sure i was going to open this page and fine a pretty good bash on J/B's!
    Todd

:220v:

RCB19
    Love the old stuff! Looks like it took a pretty nice set for the limited knowledge they had back then. Check out the Herman Munster Zoomies. :crossx:

The guy in the sunglasses and no hat, looking at this old Tahiti, in this picture I took at Marine stadium this summer is the Dick Clark, the guy driving Harry Canary. Cool pick again VDV. Thanks
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ug14051002.jpg
    As of January 15, 1967.
    http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysga...20II%20014.jpg
    You guys have come a long way!

v drive video,
    If you get the time, can you look and see if you have a picture of Roger Weiman driving a Tahiti in an early ad? I'm almost sure it too was a Berkeley ad, but might be a Tahiti/Schuster ad. It'll pre-date the one you posted above because it was the first Tahiti Jet made. If I remember right the record setting speed was a blistering 68 or 69 mph and change.
    I don't have that picture/ad any more and the last time I found a mag at the swap meet that did have it, the guy wanted 60 bucks for it.
    thanks

maxwedge
    So then, is that basically the Glastron, Tahiti, Sidewinder, Taylor, Baja, etc bottom on that thing?

FuelInMyVeins82
    look at those headers wow he must of been haulin :crossx:

You are correct. I told this before so I'll keep it short as not to lull everyone else to sleep.
    That is the famous (it really was for the time) Glastron 'Aqua Lift ' bottom on that Tahiti. Dick Schuster was already in the boat biz, having started a shop here and even in Austrailia for a short time. He was the guy that started the fiberglass department at Power Cat boats in Paramount Ca. That was the same building that Howard Brown would be in a few years later after PC moved to Texas, after the Australia debacle.
    Schuster and his main employee, Gil Gaska, were watching a boat race from Long Beach to Catilina and back, and they were on the pier checking out how the boats rode. Of course the flatbottoms were riding like, well, flatbottoms in the oceans chop. Some of the cats, like Power Cat, Javalin and some others rode pretty good but they noticed the best by far were the Glastrons.
    In the pits they checked out one of the race boats, came up with a few ideas and then talked a dealer into leting them borrow on of the new boats to pop a mold. I don't know if they actually told him what they were going to do with it, but what they did do with it changed the face of the west coast boating scene. This all went down in late '64.
    Gil made up some little hardboard cut outs and glued them to the side of the boat before making the mold, making that little target all Tahiti 16s have. They tooled up a SK styled deck for the hull after cutting it down a foot or so and the Tahiti was born. He even bought the Tahiti emblems from a failed boat company that never got off the ground.
    Everything that came after that, which is a countless amount of boat builders, splashed the 16 either to start their shop, of to get in on the action, especially when the jet thing took off. I've said it before, but at the river back in the mid 60s to the early 70s you couldn't throw a stick in the water and not bounce it off the deck of a Tahiti or one of its splash's. They were everywhere.

maxwedge
    Sweet! So that means if I swap an old 427 with some ugly zoomies into my sidewinder, I'm looking at close to 80MPH right? (j/k)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast