Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bowl Modification Questions

Squirtin Thunder
    I wonder what the cost of an MPD flow job is ???
    vs
    A new bowl ???
    Berkeley Jet Drive
    12JG Race Prepped Bowl
    150-L-03495R
    $995.99

Hipshot
    Thanks cs19. I know I can screw it up if I just approach it half hazardly, same thing goes with cylinder heads. I have been advised by one pro through PM that it is no big deal if you just remove slag/imperfections and sharpen the backside if the vanes. I was also told where most people get in trouble is when they change angles and change the overall shape without knowing what they are doing. All the pros who know how to do this stuff had to learn it somehow, and yeah,they probably screwed up a lot of stuff along the way. I can afford to have anyone I want flow the bowl, that is not the issue for me. I like doing my own stuff and seeing the results as I learn along the way.I have two Dominator bowls and one Berk bowl to experiment with. I just refuse to believe that with the proper guidence and research that it could be that big of a deal, who knows maybe I'm wrong. It sure wouldn't be the first time.
    Anyone have pictures of a fully detailed bowl they would care to post?

sanger rat
    If you are going to do it just grind the back side of the fin to keep the water flow striaght out.

sidewound
    HBJet had some good pics when he had his JC bowl modified. Ya might wanna PM him.
    Peace Man!
    CESAR

I did mine a few years back. Just followed the same instructions that you were given. You can see the notes in the text. Definitely not pro-grade work. Coulda done a little more work by hand sanding to smooth it out some I suppose. I did a lot of work that particular winter, so I can't say if it helped out at all. I don't think it hurt me any.
    http://www.jetheaven.us/photopost/da...wlwork1wnt.jpg

Unchained
    Here's what I did on my bowl.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...0bowlfront.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...20bowlexit.JPG
    I have to question the phrase "Watch out or you'll screw it up in a heartbeat"
    That sound like a statement from someone who wants to sell bowl polishing jobs.
    I get very determined when someone tells me I can't do something myself.
    It's a midwest thing. :idea:
    No matter how pretty and smooth you make the inside of the bowl all the water that flows through it still gets funneled down to a 3.125 hole.

I didn't work the inlet side of mine. Next time the pump comes apart, I'll give that a go as well. Some say that there's not much point in working the outlet without doing the inlet side as well.
    By looking at the pics of the pro's work, it looks like I could've sharpened the stator blades some more too. I was a little concerned about losing strength. Apparently it's a non-issue.

jweeks123
    No matter how pretty and smooth you make the inside of the bowl all the water that flows through it still gets funneled down to a 3.125 hole.would that imply that there is no difference between bowls cause the little nozzle hole is the big restiction
    jw

Mark,moving more water effeciently is what you want to do regardless of your nozzle insert size. Wether you do it with your chainsaw at home or you have it done by a pro I dont care, just do it right...I fully understand the whole do-it-yourself concept, but I believe in doing some homewrok before firing up the chainsaw.Comprende?
    Got any plans to run at the race track yet? I'd really like to see a time slip on your boat,It can be a humbling experience for some.
    Chris.

mj680
    would that imply that there is no difference between bowls cause the little nozzle hole is the big restiction
    jw
    You are correct.Stock Berkeley bowls work better than the highly modified bowls.Why pay big bucks that might loose you performance,just because it looks pretty.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast