Thread: Summit Oil Pan???

Mach 1 2350
    I need to put a new oil pan on my 1988 454 mag. The stock replacement ones are $300 which i feel is a little steep, and i saw two in summit that i was thinking may work. One was the Summit Steel Pan which is the cheapest and the other was the Hamburger Econo. Both are baffled, although the Hamburger is listed as a marine pan. I was wondering iff all baffles were created equal or does it have to be a "marine" design baffle. Thanks for any help

NOTALENT
    how many quarts were they??? Unfourtanatley the Marine pans are a little steep, but definatley are what you should go with. There are many storys of peeps and stock pans. Have you checked Dooley @ rex marine??

Mach 1 2350
    The hamburger is an 8 qt/wet/rear sump while the summit was a 4 qt. I was porbably gonna get the 8 qt but was looking to save a little $$. But a blown motor prob aint worth the $150.

riverbound
    The hamburger is an 8 qt/wet/rear sump while the summit was a 4 qt. I was porbably gonna get the 8 qt but was looking to save a little $$. But a blown motor prob aint worth the $150.
    I would use the Higher capacity pan.....better safe than sorry. I have a 10qt. pan on my Jet. with Dual remote filters.

NOTALENT
    Yup...RB is right...definatley dont want the 4qt...I would actually even go 10qt. Talk to REXONE he's the man at rex marine...pm him for all info... with that 4qt youll seize the motor..

GUGS102
    I went with the hamburger 9+1 QT pan. works great. only issue I had was that it does not taper around the rear main. I was installing in a jet and had to clearance a few of the bolts on the jet intake. That pan has a built in scraper and baffles. I am happy with the performance and quality, just my experence. I think I gave $200 to summit for it??
    oh yeah 489 BBC solid roller etc. etc.
    Gugs

You can find used Merc take offs on the boards for $100. If your on a budget I would go this route.