Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To O ring or not to O ring!

djdtpr
    I am getting a bigger blower and am planning an putting allitle more boost to my motor and am thinking about just sticking with cometic gaskets but am not sure yet.Right now the motor is a .030 over 454 (461 cid) motor that is at 11 1/2.1 static with 25 lbs of boost going to it with a pair of 950 hp holleys on c-16 race gas.I am running a set of fel pro 1017 gaskets right now and havnt had any problems with them,but with the new set up it will probably have a little more boost and so on and so forth.If i can get away with not o ringing the block i would like to but if i have to well then i will.Just checkin to see what everyone else is running.
    Thanks
    Danny

revndave
    Dougans just machined my o-rings out.I use a Cometic style gasket now.Danny I had problems with 2 set of copper gaskets and o-rings.Deck of block was flat also.

I am getting a bigger blower and am planning an putting allitle more boost to my motor and am thinking about just sticking with cometic gaskets but am not sure yet.Right now the motor is a .030 over 454 (461 cid) motor that is at 11 1/2.1 static with 25 lbs of boost going to it with a pair of 950 hp holleys on c-16 race gas.I am running a set of fel pro 1017 gaskets right now and havnt had any problems with them,but with the new set up it will probably have a little more boost and so on and so forth.If i can get away with not o ringing the block i would like to but if i have to well then i will.Just checkin to see what everyone else is running.
    Thanks
    Danny
    I'm doing the exact same thing -----injected alky..Have had way numerous opinions. Would like to hear Cometic's input. .....Steve

I ran a set of Cometics on my blowen gas motor and it was detonating so bad that I melted two pistons and the head gaskets still looked like new. And Info ran Cometics on his blowen alky motor in his Cougar and had goog luck, but I run Cometic brand not the Fel-Por copy, I have heard the Fel-Pro was not as good but I don't know??

Hipshot
    Here you go http://www.scegaskets.com/products/ics.html , check out the ICS Titans. They don't require machining the block or heads, will take way more than 25#s of boost(40+) and they don't leak.

TurboNova
    Here you go http://www.scegaskets.com/products/ics.html , check out the ICS Titans. They don't require machining the block or heads, will take way more than 25#s of boost(40+) and they don't leak.
    Another vote for the Titan SCE gaskets

he said more boost!

djdtpr

he said more boost!
    hu hu ya ya more boost is cool! :crossx:
    Thanks for all in imfo i think i am going with either the sce gaskets or cometics.

Moneypitt
    OK guys, I have had some issues with gaskets and o rings here lately. The o rings in the block, 2 per hole, were installed round. The Fel pro 1017-1 (4.5+ bore) combustion seal is not round and actually extends over the o rings in 2 places. This can't be right. I tried a Milodon copper gasket (4.320 bore dia.) after filling the o ring grooves with JB weld and the chambers seemed to seal, (13.1:1, no blower) but the water passages leaked water into the oil. I am looking for a 1017-1 type gasket with round combustion chamber seals. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?...................Ray

Hipshot
    Moneypitt, just have the rings cut down flat to the deck and then run the ICS Titans with passage seals by SCE gaskets and be done with it. Go check them out or give them a call. http://www.scegaskets.com/products/ics.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast